Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme newbie maple bacon recipe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme newbie maple bacon recipe question

Hello from NJ everyone,

New to this site and smoking in general and could use some help please.

Just picked up a 7.11 pound pork belly from Costco. Can someone please explain how to upscale the maple bacon recipe. Should I leave it whole or can I just roughly cut it in half and put both pieces in one large bag, I am not sure how I would cut it into perfect 3 pound portions. l I have searched this site and the web but cant find an answer I can understand.

I know I have to put the info in the calculator to get the pink salt and cure time, but how do I figure the dry and wet ingredients?

Thank you in advance for any help

hello from NJ too! Don't make it too complicated. I just did a pork belly last week . I followed pitmaster x' video on youtube.
    anyway, simple... half sugar, half kosher salt and I used a flavored maple vanilla and cinnamon grade a syrup. put that mixture all over and zip lock for a week. turn every few days and in a week completely wash off brine. Then I hot smoked in pit 285 with Applewood and cooked till 155 ish internal. I also hit half with a nice rub before cooking but found the naked half I liked even more. Enjoy!

Comment

Can't help you on the bacon question. Still on my list of todo's, but I have a belly in the freezer so soon.

Welcome to the pit from the California Delta

Comment

Toymanz - to scale up everything, but the curing salt i just divide the weight of the pork belly by 3 and use that as my multiplier. I then use the calculator for cure time and curing salt. It was worked great for me every time.

For example if your 7.11 lb pork belly just multiply the ingredients by roughly 2.37. or according to my recipe calculator:
        7 1⁄8 pound un-sliced pork belly
        10 2⁄3 teaspoon Morton's kosher salt
        10 2⁄3 teaspoon ground black pepper
        1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
        1 1⁄4 cup dark maple syrup
        1 3⁄4 cup distilled water
        3 water

We have been using plantoeat.com for a long to save recipes. It has an automatic recipe scaling feature. They have big sales for black friday every year which is when we renew.

Comment

• Toymanz
          Toymanz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for that great info and making it very easy to follow.

We always encourage you to read Meathead and Dr. Blonder's article on curing meat with specific emphasis on how to scale up or scale down your curing quantities as well as the calculator to figure your Prague Powder #1. Also bear in mind the size and thickness of the piece of meat you are curing, also discussed in the article. Good luck, once you do one you'll realize how really simple and delicious homemade bacon really is !!

Comment

• Toymanz
          Toymanz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, yes that was one of the first things I read when I joined but I was still a little confused on the dry and liquid conversions. Also I asked meathead about using burboun instead of water. He said ok just boil it first, any ideas on how long? Thank you

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Bourbon instead of water? Just a friendly word of advice, don't over think the process. Follow the recipe, learn how to make good bacon then add modifications like bourbon. Good luck !!!

• Toymanz
          Toymanz commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point, that's sound advice. Thanks

Welcome to the pit from Colorado. You will get a lot of information here, and looks like you already have. Looking forward to your contributions and learning along with you.

Comment

When you say "7.11 pound", do you literally mean "7.11" (7 lbs. 1.76 oz.) or do you mean 7 lb. 11 oz.?
          Last edited by MBMorgan; June 21, 2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Well this is my maple bacon recipe hope you like it. It is very mapley. Do try to get as close to a 5lb belly as possible or you will have to start using Meatheads calculator.

Comment

• Toymanz
                Toymanz commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here