Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork from costco pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so maybe im confused here. I always thought the butt and shoulder were different cuts...with the butt being the upper part of the shoulder if you like. I know the "boston butt" is typically the lower part of the shoulder.

I was really hoping to find actual butt since ive always thought that made better pulled pork.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Butt and shoulder are different cuts. These are definitely butts. If it is labeled just "shoulder", it will usually be the lower part of the shoulder..

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Boston butt = butt = upper shoulder. Boston is the city where the term originated for the "butts" (wooden casks) they shipped the packed pork out in, long ago.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. if you look at the white label then it is labeled as just shoulder but the packaging labels it as shoulder butt....

Its all probably no difference at the end of the day.

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
    As a rule I don’t tie those. I think I’m the only one who don’t tie those? Any one else?

if you must tie get some season/dry brine in the first. Do you need to tie them?? When are you cooking?
    no, there is no rush to cook. why no tie?

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      More heated Smokey season, lower temps (should you choose) less stall, pulls just the same, get some air n smoke in there, faster
      Cook.

I can see the need for even cooking on things but fatty pork relatively same thickness for pulling ..... meh...

What's the difference between a pork butt and a pork shoulder in BBQ cooking

This might help.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup thats what i thought.

My wife has me Honey doing this and that today may be tonight till the Western Carolina recipes get published

Comment

Grant.

"butt" is a named "cut" of pork that comes from the shoulder.

”Boston butt” is the same with the bone in and a square-ish neat trim.

just as chuck, chuck eye and blade roasts come of the same area but cut a little different.

just as chicken breast, airline breast and skinless boneless breasts come of a bird.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey yeah i guess i havent been explaining myself clearly. What i want to make sure im not getting is the "picnic" shoulder.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        grantgallagher Ahh... nope. That picnic has the bone in and looks like a ham. It’s the elbow bone and not the normal bone we’re used to seeing in the "butts" we cook, scapulas.

Picnic cut Kinda like the cartoons.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here