Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork from costco pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork from costco pork

Im figuring plenty of people have done this and it comes out fine. Was looking for some butt but all i could find there was this "boneless shoulder butt", conveniently named so you dont know if its the shoulder or the butt, lol. Im assuming its shoulder since thatsbwhat it says on the white label. Like i said, im sure it will work and the price is right. Just thought id ask.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E307CAA9-4DE3-4EA4-8172-10331CE5F26C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.69 MB ID:	697263

I have used them, they come out fine. You might want to wrap a string around them.

Comment

Yeah,they are just standard pork butts. That is what you want. They cook up just fine. Since they are boneless you might want to tie them up a bit so they cook more even otherwise there will be some weird piece and flaps that will overcook.

Comment

Yes. They have just simply removed the scapula from the meat. And that is a good piece of meat. If that is all I can get I use twine to keep it all together when I smoke it.

Comment

I've done them, but prefer the bone-in ones I get at Sam's for some reason. Maybe because Sam's is closer to me. Those are definitely the "Boston Butt" cut of the pork shoulder though, and they've just deboned them for you. You are not paying for that half pound of bone is one way to look at it.

Comment

Pork butt is actually shoulder. It got it's name from when salted pork was shipped in wooden casks called "butts". Truss it up, and proceed like normal.

Comment

Yep. I'll tie those up as well to get a more uniform shape and help it hold together.

Comment

They cook up nicely. Just be sure to not trim too much fat!!! The first time I did one I kept trimming...not realizing I was trimming the interior where the bone was. It was pretty dry. Others have been tasty...though I still prefer the bone-in and no longer buy them at Costco.

Comment

While I prefer the bone in those are just fine. Tie them in as evenly round shape as you can and apply a rub and smoke on. Those look nice. Good red meat with out much trimming to do, instead of the white/pink you get at grocery store. If that is a 12lb butt count on about 16 hours at least maybe 18 to get to 195-200. Then you need to let it set to cool to a temp where you can handle it to pull with out burning your self.
                  Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 18, 2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Whoa cooked a bunch of those, commodity pork.

Comment

That is what I use. There are two per pack. I tie each up so they are roast like in shape for even cooking and season them. You can even lay them open and season the inside before you tie them. They come out great in my opinion and the family has always loved it.

Comment

I’ve used them and they cooked fine. I trussed them so they’d keep their shape. To be honest I couldn’t tell any real difference in flavor.

Comment

Troutman I have to laugh. No pork is inspected and any company can label it what ever they want to. As far JBS they own about 66% or more of the pork producers in the US. Not just Swift but Smithfield and others. So it you really want good pork buy some Berkshire/duroc mixed piglets like my neighbor and I did let them feed in an open field, take them to your local butcher and get the cuts you want cure and smoke your own bacon and hams and have the dang best pork you will ever taste

Comment

• texastweeter
                          texastweeter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think you mean no pork is graded, as USDA inspects pork. That is how we got rid of trichinosis in the 60's. I agree on the futon and Berkshire. Great roasting swine. A guy that works for me, his father raises Iberico strain pigs up north. Been trying to get my hands on one for about 6 months now.

• Troutman
                          Troutman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Man I’d be all over Iberico. Let us know if that’s ever made available texastweeter

As a rule I don’t tie those. I think I’m the only one who don’t tie those? Any one else?

if you must tie get some season/dry brine in the first. Do you need to tie them?? When are you cooking?

Comment

• Troutman
                          Troutman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The boneless ones can fall apart some, tying is optional

• Santamarina
                          Santamarina commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I try to get the bone-in, but whenever I cook these I don’t tie them. Just shape them once on the rack in your pit and they hold together well enough.

• HouseHomey
                          HouseHomey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Santamarina whohooo plus 1 on the no tie. Two weirdos I guess. Do you find that it make for great pork. I do. Perhaps it’s in my head. I usually cook bone in from smart n final though.

The Costco Business Center has bone in pork shoulders. Double pack about 12 lbs. each. Not sure why the Costco stores don't stock this item. Smart and Final has Bone in by Farmer John. Planning to pick up a two pack for the weekend today. Oh and I tie my bone in butts. So much easier getting it off the smoker.

Comment

• Derickls
                          Derickls commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I love the costco business center. The one near me also sells full half goats

• HouseHomey
                          HouseHomey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Business center??? I buy all my butts from Smart n final on ADAMS. Love the Fj. Costco is boneless

• fttank
                          fttank commented
                          Editing a comment
                          #HouseHomey there is a Costco Business Center next to the Walmart on Beach Blvd and the 22. They have bone-in Shoulders there. No lines. Smart & Final is much closer. I bought two 9 lb FJ bone-in butts today at the Golden West/Edinger store. $1.99/lb. It's just another option for us.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here