Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    pork plus ACW and heat is great.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    took a few hits of it while in college, wasn't impressed....

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    I only use hickory on swine. I add what I call hogsauce. Basically just several different chili powder, veniger and salt/pepper. No spritz or baste. Hell, I usually forgo the bun. Your way sounds very "whole hog" style.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    Guys I am back home in western NC and will start explaining with recipes the nature of what is greatness of the home of the pork butt. As well as the Eastern NC whole pig BBQ. Now I am not going to tell you that you can't make changes, because what is the fun in that.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Western Carolina slaw is made with that thar wonderful sauce and some oil. I am finally home now will put up some recipes tomorrow for any one interested.

• Ricorocks
    commented on 's reply
    Seems East Carolina Mop & Lexington Dip, differ as the later adds ketchup & apple juice.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    souee pig!

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    Bkhuna, I can't say I'm a fan of North Carolina style bbq, but I completely agree on the mayo based slaw on a sandwich. That's just wrong.

• HouseHomey
    replied
    I would sell my body for acid. Love vinegar!!! I will admit mayo is a close second. Sorry Bkhuna but I love a mayo based slaw on pork. Like my vinegar slaw just the same.

My my family is not big on mop sauces so I’m not sure I’ve ever had mayo slaw on mopped sauces pork.

Im starving now. Love this pig talk.

Leave a comment:

• Ricorocks
    replied
    East Caroling Mop Sauce
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...and-mop-recipe

Seems this is used to mop during the cook

As anyone tried this?

Sorry duplicate post

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    That is an Eastern Carolina vinegar based sauce that is used for whole hog cooking here in NC. They use as a mop while cooking there roughly 150lb hogs, which they split and cook skin down flip twice usually or not at all depending on the smoker. Then they will sprinkle the meat after chopping and place it at the tables to add to sandwiches or platters.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 18, 2019, 09:36 AM.

• Ricorocks
    replied
    East Caroling Mop Sauce
    Create your own amazing East Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce and mop with this simple to follow recipe. Tangy and spicy, Low Country vinegar sauce is great for finishing fatty pork and does double duty as a baste (or mop) for adding layers of flavor to the meat as it cooks. Because it is so thin, it penetrates deep.

Seems this is used to mop during the cook

As anyone tried this?

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    And for the love of God, don't but mayonnaise based slaw on a good sandwich.

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Low temp
    Meat
    Smoke
    Time.

The sauce is a condiment. Usually added to meat as it's chopped/pulled to help keep the meat moist. A little goes a long way. I don't think shoulders need to be mopped. I also don't think whole shoulders need to be injected, or overly seasoned. KISS.
    YMMV.

• Santamarina
    replied
    I usually dry brine pork butt, then give it a heavy coat of modified-MMD before throwing it in a 250°F pit fueled by an oak fire. Keep a water pan in the pit, and spritz occasionally to check the bark. Don’t wrap until it looks like a meteorite. Cook until IT is 203°F. Rest for an hour+...Cambro if holding for a few hours or less; warming oven if holding longer. Pull and eat - sauce optional.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here