Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex and SnS comparison question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex and SnS comparison question

Since making a Vortex using a modified SS bowl I’ve had a great time using it and experimenting with a few cooks. My first meet with the vortex was chicken wings. They were very good and with the affair still in its infancy things got better.

After a few wing cooks I cut up a pork belly into about 2” thick rashers rubbed all over with MMD and cooked at 360-390F. That’s hot and it took about 1.5 hrs till butter probe tender.
    Never mind the other partaker’s plaudits, I tell you it was the best belly I’ve made (and I make a lot).
    Only the one piece had a "crispy" bark on the one side but that was because it was placed too close to the vortex opening.

The next day I had 4 bellies to smoke and they would not fit in the kettle. I checked if they would with the vortex and after adding a reducing ring to the top of the vortex to minimise the opening I was able to fit the 4 bellies. These I cooked at less heat around 340F. They were done in around 2.5 hrs with less bark than the rashers but just as good.

I don’t have a lot of experience using a SnS and was curious if it would have the same effect as the vortex if used at the same cooking temps or is it because the vortex heat is generated in the center that it makes a difference when cooking?
    Also I find the vortex holds the high temp for a long time considering the amount of lump I use.

I withhold any broadcast of my first attempt at pizza using a pizza stone and the vortex.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2382 cropped.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	695069

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2383.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	695070

What temp did you bring those strips to?
    Those look dang awesome!!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Ran between 360 and 390

I use them for different things. If I was going to reverse sear a thick steak I would use a SnS. If I was doing wings I would use a poortex. I've used my SnS a lot more because I used to use it routinely for smoking. I use it infrequently now that I have a Kamado though.

Comment

In other words both of those charcoal baskets have value and offer different options.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking the vortex holds a high heat for longer like I mentioned not a great deal of SnS experience behind me. I have done wings with SnS and are good but the vortex wings are better. Like you correctly say offer different options.

My G.. what did that belly ever do to you. You burned it at over 350 degrees making all of the fat leave it, help!!! It talks like a dog, bark, bark. LOL

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Sacrificial pig for experimental purposes.Turned out really good.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here