Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

So it's time to check and time to spritz. What is this color that comes from your meat sometimes? I get this color on butts and brisket too but today I'm doing some ribs on the Akorn at the lake house. Hopefully they aren't bad. I never detected an off smell that persisted beyond what normally comes out when you initially open the cryovac? I've also eaten meat with this color before with no problems but just wondering if anybody gets the same thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_154306.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	695029

Just as a wild guess—myoglobin cooking out? Someone with some meat science under his/her belt will chime in.

Comment

That looks evenly spaced and seems to correspond to the rib bones. I'd call it rib bone goo. In Spanish I think it would be called goo de las costillas.

Comment

Thanks guys. Makes sense. For what it's worth it's present on the other rack too. Different cryovac.

Comment

In the AR glossary that would be called "boogers".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here