Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beast Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beast Butt

So I ordered a pork shoulder from SRF for pulled pork on Sunday. I thought I was getting a 14lb butt. What I got instead was 20.4lbs. This will be the largest I’ve done yet. Any ideas on how long this gorgeous thing will take??
    Attached Files

Looks like you got the whole leg, picnic and butt. 250.8 hours at 225, no wrap.

Comment

I did one a few months ago. Took about 15 hours if I remember correctly. No wrap @225

Comment

Yep you have the whole dang thing. I would try to split it as the butt will take more time than the picnic, which is why you seldom see them together.

PS: That is a gorgeous hunk of meat.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 14, 2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

In order to have it ready Sunday, you need to start it yesterday...

I'd cut it in half. That should reduce the cookin' time a bit and give you more bark.

Comment

I’m with the others. Cut it in half. More bark, plus the upper half may need more time.

Comment

Man that is pretty. Funny, before AR only women and children were pretty to me...

Comment

Heres a couple of large hams I was coaching a cliente by phone today. Took 8 hours to hit 165f internal @275-300f un wrapped. Cut the leg off that shoulder as it will cook quicker.
                Attached Files

Comment

I agree. I will be cutting this in half.

Comment

In my before asking days I cooked a 20 pound + whole butt that took just short of 23 hours @225 never again.

Comment

Brian I would not be afraid to smoke that after you separate it at 250. First SRF pork is well marbled and you are only at the upper end of low and slow. It should save you a couple of hours on a beast that size.

Comment

I plan on smoking both of them. 24hrs low and slow should do the trick, don’t ya think?

Comment

If you split it at the joint the picnic will weigh about 7-8lbs. and the butt about 12-13. So use your prior experience to figure it out on your smoker as I don't have experience on it. You will lose the crispy bark on the picnic when you place it in a Cambro to keep it hot, but you should have plenty on that big butt.

Also don't know what your doing with it pulling or slicing. If slicing you can take off earlier.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here