Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Tenderloin Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Tenderloin Question

Good Morning, Guys and Gals! I've got a pork tenderloin marinating in the fridge that I am planning to cook this evening. I think it is roughly 2 to 2.5 lbs. I found a recipe where the lady marinates it with Apricot preserves, peanut butter, orange juice, lime juice, and some other ingredients. Her instructions are, and I'm guessing she probably uses gas here, but to crank the grill to high heat, and cook for five minutes. She then flips it and cooks it for another 6 minutes. Finally she kills the heat, and continues to cook for another five minutes, and says this should get you to roughly 145 degree.

How would you all recommend doing it on kamado? Crank it and cook per her instructions over the direct flame (kind of worried the sugars might burn)? Cook it per her instructions but over indirect, and then do a slight sear at the end? Or would you try low and slow for a couple hours?

Looking forward to all of the great advice and feedback! Love being a member here. Was browsing another forum the other day and people kept taking jabs at each other. Makes me glad to spend a little more to hang out with a classier set of folk .

It's easy to adjust the temp on a gasser, but not so much on a kamado because the ceramic retains heat. If I was using a kamado, I'd probably go low and slow with a reverse sear.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
      Ground Chuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Good man, thank you, sir!

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s how I cook my pork tenderloins usually. Low and slow then reverse sear

I’ve also cut medallions, pounded them out thin and then quick seared each side on my griddle but that’s when I’ve prepped them simply with just salt and pepper.

That crazy marinade alone would give me pause, much less the described method of cooking. My advice is to find a better recipe, tons of them in the pork channel.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
      Ground Chuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha, that is fair. I'm a sucker for PB&J, so I'll let you know how it goes.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      It does sound like a scary concoction, Ground Chuck , but sometimes weird combos produce great results. And sometimes not. I'll be curious to read the result. Have fun with that cook.

Kathryn

Pork Tenderloin is one of my favorites. I'd go indirect heat @350*-400* and take it to 140*-145*Max. Season or Marinate as you wish. There again I'd just season it before grilling and melt some Apple Jelly and mix with BBQ Sauce about 50/50 and drizzle over sliced pork. Just don't go higher than 145*.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
      Ground Chuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Skip!! Think that is what I'm going to do

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Skip and might even be more strict and say don't go above 140. Tented while you make your sauce it will go up another 5 degrees which we always forget.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here