Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugh, did my first inedible cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, did my first inedible cook.

Well, that certainly did not turned out as planned.

I have been meaning to try Steven Raichlen's Monroe County Pork Steaks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMWN8zpZ7I).

It is a very straightforward cook. However I did two things terribly wrong.

First, I was rushed and was trying to beat the waning daylight. Second, my fire was way too hot. I had a full chimney of lit coals plus two chunks of hickory going. The flames were probably 10" high!

Yep, I put the steaks on that. Eight minutes later -- when the interiors were 145ish -- the outsides were a charred mess, rendering the entire thing inedible.

If I had just waited 30 minutes, with the flames gone and the coals and wood smoldering, tonight's cook would have turned out very, very different.

If it took ya clear til today to finally make an inedible food item, then, Sir, I salute ya...
    I can make no such claim.

Comment

I hear you and we have all been there. Great thing is that these situations become much rarer as we go on. My dogs still don’t mind the occasional screw up.🙂

Comment

Amazing how many conditions come together (rushed, new something) for an imperfect perfect storm.

I had someone else pick out a brisket, trying out a new cambro and butcher paper, in a rush, delivered a brisket to a pastor's home WITH guests that was maybe 10% edible without further heating and tenderizing.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ouch!
          I can feel dat...

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully he prayed for the cow...

Absolutely. I had forgotten how hot a full chimney of charcoal can get. And I was trying to get this done before 10 pm. I thought... wow... this is going to be an awesome sear. But, of course, pork is not beef. (And if this were beef, it still may have turned out iffy.)

Definitely learned some things tonight. Primarily, I need to keep my impatience in check. I had a similar -- but less disastrous -- issue a few days ago when I put meat on the grill to smoke and the white smoke had not fully abated yet.

Comment

(Ugh, there is nothing salvageable about these steaks. Sauce is interesting. Kinda a redder version of Alabama White Sauce.)

Comment

Meh, it happens from time to time. Mine are usually a combination of poor planning and over consumption. Again, meh.

Comment

I feel your pain. Graduation day for my daughter, and I manned the in-laws hand me down nice Ducane gasser today with 18 burgers, 12 brats and as many ears of corn as I could cram on the grate and managed to create a massive grease fire that destroyed most of the corn and rendered several of the first round of burgers to hockey pucks. Then I remembered that I had a set of Grillgrates for the 22" Weber. Disaster averted, and I ended up with enough good ears of corn and burgers that it was all good. Pretty sure invented a few new cuss words, though.

Comment

Sounds like a great candidate for the Fail! thread. We've all been there.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OMG this is the best!! (I mean worst?)

• SmokingSteve
                  SmokingSteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did not realize we have a Fail! thread, I definitely have a few things to post there! LOL!

And Michael, count yourself fortunate that we have such a great support group here for when things go wrong. And Right!

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We've definitely all been there.

Been there - done that. I will spare you the gory details, (and I don't want a flashback - uh-oh too late...).

Comment

Rest assured, there will be more. I feel your pain.

Comment

Impatience….same here, hurry the meat onto the grill....then the ravenous wolfs around here want dinner NOW cause it smells so good....

Comment

Such a good learning experience. Unfortunately for me, th lesson doesn’t always stick until I repeat it a few time.

Comment

One down and a bunch more to go if you want to catch up with me.

Comment

You should have seen the red snapper I put on the griddle last night. I didn’t bother taking a pic. We ate it but my wife asked if we can get fillets next time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here