Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex Wings and Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex Wings and Pork Belly

Last weekend I made me a vortex thing as per Henrik using a stainless steel bowl with the base cut off.
    First off I owe you all a heck of an apology for thinking - what’s the big hype around AR about doing wings using the vortex way.
    Today was my third wings cook this week and everybody raves about them, including my daughter who will not eat chicken that’s on the bone. One day they will be as good as HouseHomey

I bought a 5 Kg bag of wings last Friday that motivated me to make the vortex thingamajig.
    It was real easy and a pleasure using it to cook wings.
    On all 3 occasions I cooked the wings from frozen with a sprinkling of shop bought BBQ rub that’s suitable for wings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2341.jpg crop.jpg Views:	1 Size:	207.6 KB ID:	688531

Pork Belly is by far my favourite piece of meat at the moment.
    It is not only easy to cook and soooo tasty but is also much cheaper than beef these parts, besides I struggle to find acceptably decent Brisket.
    I bought 3 Belly’s today each about 4 pounds for tomorrow’s cook but while preparing the first piece I decided to use one as an experimental cook with the vortex after the wings were done.
    I sliced it into about 1 inch pieces, salted and into the freezer to chill. Got the wings on the go and made a batch of MMD for the PB.

Using a cast iron pot I made "Potjie Pot Potato Bake" for a side. A simple dish using onion, bacon, cream, milk and onion soup powder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2328.JPG Views:	1 Size:	404.8 KB ID:	688532

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2338.JPG Views:	1 Size:	412.1 KB ID:	688533

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2343.JPG Views:	1 Size:	418.5 KB ID:	688534

When the wings were done I filled up the vortex with charcoal and let it burn clean and the lid dial was reading 500F.
    Loaded the pork belly "rashers" and let them run for 10 minutes at 500 and then closed the lid vent ¾ and it took a while to get down and settle around 375F and let them ride for an hour and half then opened the vent fully for about another 20 minutes while the temp climbed again (got to 430F) and pulled the meat.
    Before opening the vents on the last stretch I checked the rashers and they were probe tender. They were really tasty tender with a nice chew. My very fussy daughter doesn’t like PB because it’s too fatty said they were good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2354.JPG Views:	1 Size:	402.4 KB ID:	688535

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2365.JPG Views:	1 Size:	416.9 KB ID:	688536

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_2366.JPG Views:	1 Size:	436.9 KB ID:	688537

Last edited by holehogg; June 1, 2019, 03:02 PM.

Nice! I love those Vortex wings! And who doesn't love some glorious pork belly?

Comment

Nice chick-pig cook !!!

Comment

Good lookin' cooks.

Comment

Nice going. inspired me to do some burnt ends tomorrow.

Comment

Beautiful! Vortex wings are the bomb!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here