Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin style ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real key to his ribs is not the s&p, that's just the base. (of most TX bbq) The key is his sauce. Man it is so good. Just made another batch cus I drank the last one! The sauce is cooked on tacky for a few right before it goes into the foil. Then added to the foil much like the comp guys layering on brown sugar and Parkay. Really good! It's a vinegar/ketchup/brown sugar base sauce. Makes all the difference in the whole cook. Aaron don't just cook with s&p. He actually spends some excruciating time rubbing the sauce on just right. That's his end product.

Make ya up some!

Blend it when done. Drinks better that way!

Last edited by lonnie mac; June 6, 2019, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Not much different than what my wife slathers on meatloaf. I will have to give it a go the next time we smoke some ribs.

I do them the same way, Henrik . I also felt like it was too much pepper (I also didn't grind it quite enough). My second time, I cut back on the pepper and went slightly heavier on the sauce and they were perfect. I've been doing them that way since. I'm lucky enough to have eaten at Franklin's, and his ribs are incredible (Rodney Scott's in SC are better, FWIW).

If not the seasoning, I think his method is pretty spot-on (and easy). I don't love the "sweet" rubs and lacquered-on sauces that seem to dominate the world of ribs, so I love this method. I think it speaks to the "simplicity is key" philosophy, which is what I believe in as far as BBQ. The simpler, the better for me.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to hear. I'm gonna cut back on the pepper next time. I too enjoyed the 'simpler' style.

Franklin will come and go like some of his leaders I followed in the 80's and 90's. I still use a rub from back then from a husband and wife team that published numerous books and had a well known name on what was then a much smaller BBQ circuit. Some of you may remember the Johnson's. I have enjoyed watching his rise to fame as I have enjoyed watching others. Like I have said before I have been doing this since I bought my first Weber kettle in the late 70's and now that I'm retired it is what I have now with a few toys on it. LOL

We get more information faster than ever before. I might have waited a month back in the old days for the winner of the Royale or Memphis in May. Now we can watch them live. Isn't it grand.

Well put the fire to the coals and keep learning how to make it better.

Comment

After eating at Franklin's in May I have attempted Franklin's ribs two times in the past month. Close but not quite there yet. I need to sign up for the Master Class but that will have to wait until some bills are paid off. Here is my attempt from last weekend. They were very good, but not as good as Franklin's:

Dry brined 4 hours, lightly dusted with granulated garlic, granulated onion, black pepper, and paprika.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2814.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	699109

Sauced with Franklin's Texas Style sauce that I bought at his place last month.

Name:	100_2815.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	699111

Finished product. A little overcooked but very good.

Name:	100_2816.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	699110

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I pre-ordered, just drove up at 10:30am, picked up my order, and left. There were about 200+ people waiting (Thursday morning), many since before 8am. Franklin's opens a 11am. Is it worth the wait? Well the food was pretty darned good but I have a hard time waiting in line 3-4 hours for any food - no matter how good - so when I saw the pre-order option on their website I did that.

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Next time I'm in Austin I'll have to make sure I finally try that place.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        If you want to pre-order, you have to do so three or more days in advance. Check their website for more info.

No way I'll wait in line for his meat since he wasn't even voted best in Texas 4 or so years ago. How sweet it is a little celebrity praise does.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 22, 2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here