Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grilled pork ribs rosticciana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grilled pork ribs rosticciana

I’ve been meaning to try this recipe from Cooks Illustrated for about a month. Man, I am glad I got to it. It is a grill recipe, not a barbeque recipe. The ribs are not tender, but rather chewy like a steak. They are holy (heck) good. And as an added bonus, they are ridiculously easy!

1 or 2 racks ribs (any cut, i used whole racks and used the tips), cut into two rib sections
    salt
    vegetable oil
    pepper

Vinaigrette:

1/2 cup evoo
    4 finely minced cloves of garlic
    2t finely minced fresh rosemary
    2T lemon juice (about 2 lemons)

1 hour before grilling:

Cut the ribs into the 2 rib sections, salt, and refrigerate. Make the vinaigrette by mixing the first three ingredients and microwaving them until they just start bubbling, about 30-45 seconds; then whisk in the lemon juice and let stand.

get a fire just slightly less than afterburner hot, between burger and steak: 450-500. Brush the meaty side of the ribs with vegetable oil, pepper them, and grill them meat side down for a few minutes. Turn, grill, turn, grill, etc. I took them to 150 between the bones, which kept them juicy and still gave a great crust.

When they are done, let them stand a few minutes and serve with the vinaigrette on the side.

I did 4 chicken thighs alongside, to see if the recipe translates. It absolutely does. I started the thighs after the first turn, because, well, you know. They’re a lot thinner.

the key to this is the same as the key to grilling pork chops: PAY ATTENTION. A couple more minutes and I very well might have had shoe leather. But these were juicy, meaty, porky, and had a really good caveman gestalt, as in ripping meat from bones with your teeth!

Give it a try. It’s one of the easiest recipes you can make, and the reward is... well, the reward is amazing ribs in about 15 minutes!

Click image for larger version  Name:	FC20F8A3-DCD5-46FA-9EF9-FE5C52C576D4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	683279

Click image for larger version  Name:	7E6C30AC-45F0-43C5-9ADE-BA6B170A94ED.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.73 MB ID:	683283

Click image for larger version  Name:	2863A682-5944-44DC-93A2-07878183E6CD.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	683281

Click image for larger version  Name:	68EA4D9F-A512-46B6-85B0-34854A19C1AA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	683280

Click image for larger version  Name:	8B1EB307-A992-4116-AC46-546582BCCDB4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	683282
    Last edited by Mosca; May 22, 2019, 06:41 PM.

I enjoy doing pork ribs in a similar fashion. I like the chew and the crispy caramelized pork fat.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s why the two-rib sections, more crispy!

• Hit_em
      Hit_em commented
      Editing a comment
      Italian ribs. If you add red pepper flakes when you microwave you have a fra Diavalo marinade. Great chicken treatment. Let the marinade cool down in frig/fryer before pouring over chicken. Marinate 1 hour.

I use that same basic vinaigrette on chicken all the time. Try it served with a chimichurri. It's one of our go to chicken recipes.

Comment

Looks great. What was your side dish?

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Steamed sugar snaps and Caprese tomatoes.

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Roger that Mosca Really nice looking plate.

Gorgeous cook. I saw that recipe and wanted to try. Now have to.

Comment

Fancy!

Comment

Yee haw... gotta' buy some more ribs for this weekend.

Comment

I especially like the tomato/Mozzarella/basil salad with balsamic drizzle. I do that quite frequently, guests really seem to like it every time I do it as well. Simple but looks and tastes great. Nice work there Mosca

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              You can reduce balsamic vinegar by slowly boiling it if you do not have a reduction. Stinks the whole house out, so do it outside on the bbq. Works great on Asparagus spears.

To reheat, put a serving of ribs in a plastic bag, seal the top, and put them in simmering water.

I might like these better than bbq’d ribs. I’ve eaten them three nights in a row. They’re like pork steak.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              1/2 cup evoo ???? Whats that? never heard of it.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Extra virgin olive oil.

I’ve noticed that there are two approaches to cooking ribs. One is the traditional low and slow method, and the other is grilling at about 300 to 350°. I’ve had some pretty good grilled ribs out a couple of BBQ joints.

Comment

Made these tonight, they were transplendent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_162854.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	699632

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, damn good, aren't they! I love the rosemary and lemon and garlic!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here