Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloins

Jabin Postal's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4-I2t3uDuY) Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloins is something I've been wanting to try for while.

They turned out quite well!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3194.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	681880

Either my tenderloins were too thick or the bacon I used wasn't long enough -- I wasn't able to stretch it like Jabin shows in his video. Still, I was able to wrap most of the slices around them.

I used Meathead's Memphis dust rub on the pork (and after salting it) before putting the bacon on. I also glazed the bacon halfway through the cook with a bit of Kraft Hickory Smoke BBQ sauce (it is less sweet than most and, well, it is what I grew up on).

I did my usual half-chimney of charcoal plus a lump of applewood. This typically gets me 300-350. To my utter astonishment, for some reason I ended up having to add ten hot briquettes about 3/4 of the way through the cook, as my temp got stuck at 280 no matter how open the vents were. Weird. I pulled the tenderloins when they hit 145.

This turned out to be my best pork tenderloin cook thus far (granted, it is only my third one). The bacon shell turned out fantastic. Wow, bacon flavor plus the rub plus the sauce and that mild wood smoke flavor. I could just have eaten that!

The tenderloin turned out incredibly moist, although I was a little surprised at the lack of smoke ring (I suppose the bacon got in the way).

Strangely, now that I have done three of these.....I may not be all that much of a tenderloin fan. The meat is good and tasty, don't get me wrong....but, it is ridiculously moist and has -- oh this is so hard to describe -- a "sweet" flavor to it. There was just too much contrast between the bacon and the tenderloin itself.

So, I think for the time being I may switch over to chicken thighs, which also good relatively fast and are even more forgiving of temp control.

Tasty lookin' ~ Ron

Comment

So yer tenderloins were to thick & yer bacon was a little short, no matter for a loin climber like you! Ended up lookin great. Especially liked the touch of glazin the bacon. Very cool my man! 🕶

Comment

Michael_in_TX, You, sir. Have inspired me! I’m a big fan of rotisserie pork loin with Memphis Dust........ now I shall try wrapping in bacon! ......How have I never thought of this before?! Thank you!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          The Memphis dust was an excellent pairing with the pork, and especially the bacon. I dusted the tenderloin before applying the bacon and then a light dusting atop the bacon. As I said, the bacon part was phenomenal.

Nice work, bacon wrapped anything is definitely in my wheelhouse !!! Yea go for those bacon wrapped chicken thighs, they are the absolute bomb !!!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm beginning to get that idea. Check this out....your thread on the poppers reminded me of it. It is 2 lbs of pork breakfast sausage wrapped around cream cheese and jalapeños, the whole thing wrapped in a bacon weave.

(Malcom Reed / HowToBBQRight)

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea I've made that and similar fatty rolls in the past. They're a lot of fun to do and make really nice presentations. Go for it !!!

It looks awesome 👏

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here