Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig ears

Anyone have experiences with pig ears? I'm thinking they will made a fun appetizer for my next get together. Originally I was going to smoke 'em up, but that doesn't seem to be the best option.

From what I've read elsewhere, my current plan is a salt cure (6 hours) followed by a 12 hour sous vide bath and then a couple minutes in the deep fryer to crisp them up.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a plan. I would do a trial run first as they are cheap to buy. I would probably boil them till soft, dry them off, cover with salt and leave uncovered in the fridge for 2-3 days to dry and go hard and translucent. Toss em in the deep fryer and should puff up. Serve with hot sauce. Also burn any hair off them before starting (reminds me of old man with hairy ears). My 2 cents

Comment

• Jansen
      Jansen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input. I'm going to try my hand at them this weekend, and will report back.

Haven't cooked any, but usedta always git em at th pet shop, fer a Jack Russell / Rat Terrier mix I usedta share my life with...He would go absolutely bugship bonkers over em!!!!!

I see ya been here, awhile, but this is yer first post, so:

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Glad to hear from ya, lookin forward to more...

Comment

• Jansen
      Jansen commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the welcome.

A few of my buddies have pointed out that I'm proposing serving "dog treats" to them. I think they will get over it after a few bourbons.

Welcome from Florida. My wife will never allow pig ears in her house. Or on the grill for that matter, lol. So, sorry. Can’t help.

Comment

• Jansen
      Jansen commented
      Editing a comment
      HAHAHA. Truth. Wife isn't aware of my plans. Better to ask for forgiveness on this one.

There is a place in Mississippi that sells pig ear sandwiches. Never had one. Anyway, I think they pressure cook them first to break down the cartilage. Then they cook, etc. People line up. I'd like to try it.

BTW, welcome from South Louisiana!

Comment

NapMaster The place is called the Big Apple Inn. Jackson, Mississippi. Dang good.

Welcome!

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        That was excellent, Lonnie. Thank you.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Lonnie!!! I was thinking about you the other day! How you doing brother!? Been too long!

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes me want pig ears.

I tried to make a silk purse out of them once, can't be done.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha, If anyone could make a silk purse out of sow's ear it's Mr. Bones!

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you ever tried your hand at gilding a lily? I watered a lily once.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd Only tried oncet, when I was a whole bunch young(er), an dumb(er)...
        End result, Herman knocked me clean halfway down Mockinbird Lane , an, at that particular moment, I decided, fer certain: "Never Again!"

My mom used to cook them all the time when I was a youngster. I wasn't a big fan, but hey - eat or go to bed hungry was the rule. So I used a lot of hot sauce on them. I think she boiled them and then pan fried them.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        yup, eat or go to bed hungry were th main (only) dietary options, in my upbringin, as well!
        Good Rule, in my book!

Interesting post, love it! That would be fun. Need to try them on myself though. Then what? Pig Tails?

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Pigs feet. I seen a bag full at the supermarket the other day. Need to think of a recipe...

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Love pigs feet prepared all ways! Growing up in a family that produced country hams, we had a surplus of them. Still, my favorite way is pickled.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Search "trotters", fer some receipts... Ahumadora

I have never eaten them. My dogs love them smoked!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Ime, pig ears is like doggy crack! Kinda similar reaction to kitty meets catnip...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here