Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon revelation

Uncomfortable health day so I won't be doing much in the kitchen, today. although we DO need bread. I guess I will do that <sigh> But, sitting here, watching TV and munching Bacon, it occurs to me, one of the things I LOVE about this bacon is that the flavor is SO close to a Country Ham. Country Ham but more tender and more sweet. no WONDER I love it! I'm a salt vampire (YES, I MUST eat more salt than most people. Doctor's orders!) so I never simmer country ham or rinse it to remove salt. Bacon is similar in flavor, once cured but sweeter thanks to the cut of meat an the sweet in the meat! Meathead, you may have created a monster! I may have to send you guys the bill for a new wardrobe!

Nah, i eat whole packs of bacon at one sitting for lunch. 38 and 6' 0" and 140-145. Summertime grass cutting depletes a little. And i LOVE SALT. You'll be fine...

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      actually, my problem is my kidneys don't process ENOUGH salt. so I have to eat more salt than normal. unlike most folks my age who are advised to cut back. in the general population, barring health issues, anyone can eat all the salt they wish so long as they drink a sufficient quantity of water to wash it out. my problem is I don't hold onto salt and I LOVE drinking water. I would choose water over a soda or milk shake anytime. unfortunately, this is the one dietary restriction I have which I DON'T like. I am not allowed to drink plain water, or at least not more than a pint per day. anything else I drink must have some form of sodium and my food has to be nicely salted. c'mon, twist my arm!!

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      My kidneys enjoy producing kidney stones.

Is the [ascending] Loop of Hendley in your kidneys, not releasing enough electrolytes into the medulla??

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      No, in my case, my pituitary gland has been compromised. that effects the Thyroid & Adrenals. all of this and a rare but severe digestive disorder has damaged my kidneys, over time, specifically my left kidney. I am now in stage 2 Kidney Failure. pretty calm at the moment but it only gets worse. The salt issue, though, seems to go back my entire life though undiagnosed.

I think I have mentioned my grandparents cattle farm in Texas. not huge, just 50 acres, my grandmother's portion of her grandfather or great grandfather's original Land Grant. Well, many were the times when I was a toddler up to about 6 when we moved to Tennessee where my mother grew up, my father would be searching for me and he'd find me in the pastures. Licking the salt lick! I know, it sounds gross but, toddler/country girl/salt vampire. Talking to my doc about it and other incidences of what most would call 'excessive' salt preferences, it has been theorized that my preference for high salt levels was and is just my body craving what it needs.

I'm also chronically anemic. which means red meat is a MUST (throw me in that briar patch!) But, I can usually tell when iron levels start to fall. on those days, things like Braunschweiger taste like ambrosia!

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
    YES, I MUST eat more salt than most people. Doctor's orders!
    I... Hate... You...

Comment

Eat my dust! just don't salt it!!! Sorry, just couldn't help it!! OTOH, you can probably eat MORE than I can, at a time. Enjoying a real meal instead of a bite here, and a bite there and cold hamburgers...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here