Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked cheese on an electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked cheese on an electric?

Hey all, I’ve been wanting to smoke some cheese for quite a while now but I’m not sure how to go about it. The equipment I’ve got is a Landman electric smoker and a regular ol grill (I’d love to upgrade to a pellet smoker someday, but due to being in college the lack of money is keeping me away!) anyway, do any of you know of any techniques or anything to help with with smoked cheesy goodness? Or am I just SOL until I get some more "serious" equipment?

What kinda overnight / early morn temps are ya still holdin, there in UT?

Cooler, th better, fer easily smokin some cheese.

It can be done, otherwise, with supplemental ice, etc., but ambient cold makes it easier, certes..

Understand that college requires $, fully appreciate...

What kinda "regular ol grill" are ya rollin, at present?

How low, temp-wise will yer lectric smoker go / hold?

Comment

• Chris396
      Chris396 commented
      Editing a comment
      Right now we’re hitting lows of about 40

as far as the grill it’s a propane Weber

and The smoker as far as I remember it will hold around 200? But that’s not positive since I haven’t had any real reason to go below 225 ever

It doesn't sound like a Landman electric can hold temps lower than 100F ... which is too hot for cold-smoking cheese. Your best bet is to get your hands on a smoking tube for use either in your electric or your grill ... neither of which should be on.

Here's a link to a decent looking article on the process: https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-cheese/

Comment

• Chris396
      Chris396 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d never thought of a smoking tube, good call! And thanks for the article!

I've had great results with a-maze-n tube, apple pellets are great! Swiss, gouda, my fav's, better cheese, better taste also. After smoking, I wrap tightly, saran wrap, or food saver. Cheese will be quite strong coming off the smoker, so I let it age in the chill chest, min one week.

Also see pg 16 pdf https://www.amazenproducts.com/v/vsp...NUserGuide.pdf

Comment

I second the advice MBMorgan and Ricorocks have for you. Just use your grill or smoker as a cabinet to hold your cheese and a smoking tube. If you are into experimenting, you can even use hay to smoke cheese.

I got good results when outdoor temperatures were 40-60 F / 5-15 C with no direct sun on the smoker/grill to warm it up. It's not something you want to do on a sweltering summer day at high noon in full sun.

I use milder flavored cheeses like string cheese (mozzarella), swiss, gouda, brie, colby, mild cheddar, farmer, etc. I smoked a piece of 4 year sharp cheddar once, and it didn't taste especially good or interesting to me, even after mellowing. This is certainly a personal preference thing, but maybe smoke only a smaller piece of sharp or aged cheese first and see how you like it.

If the cheese is a large block or brick, I cut it into long chunks 1 1/2 to 2 inches (3-5 cm) square. That creates a nice amount of surface area to expose to the smoke.

I wrap the smoked cheese in deli paper (waxed paper) and then put the bundles of wrapped cheese in a zipper lock bag and refrigerate. Definitely age the cheese after smoking. It's nasty bitter right at first, but it gets much more tasty in a week to a month.

Comment

• Ricorocks
        Ricorocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes always just amaz-e-n tube, source of heat. Agree sharp cheddar not so good. Yes to increased surface area by cutting. As an appetizer it's gone quickly. YUM

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here