Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulk purchase for various salts and other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulk purchase for various salts and other

I am looking at buying some of the salts, and various peppercorns, etc in larger quantities. I have a friend that has saved me a bunch of glass baby food jars with lids to store things. I am going to drill various size holes in some lids that I will take on and off the various bottles based on the size and quantity that I would need to get out of various jars as needed. I think I can keep them outside in one of my storage bins like this. What systems do you use, and where do you buy your various salts, peppercorns, coriander, etc? I was going to get various pepper-mills but, I think I will just buy a second cheap coffee grinder and mix it all in there if I need to grind it down a bit

Bulk spices offer your chef a huge supply of cinnamon, garlic powder, pepper, and more to give your dishes the kick that customers love. With a huge range of wholesale spices that range from arrowroot to white pepper, you're sure to find the ingredie

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you, looks like they have a good selection in the 5lb range!

I buy most of my larger quantity spices at Costco. Not as cheap as ordering online, I suspect, but they are pretty good.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Murdy Thank you, maybe I will check my Sams club to see what they have.

Are you planning on doing a lot of large cooks, as in a LOT?

Comment

FireMan in the "scope of A LOT" I would guess that I would never be in that group of people. But, I would l prefer to buy some of the salts, and peppercorns, and a few others that I am seeing that I am using more of, and saving a bit of time adding it to my grocery list so often.

Comment

While most spices don't go "bad", they can lose potency over time and become less flavorful/aromatic.

Comment

What RonB mentioned is why I asked. Salt, I now have four different salts in stock after doing a bit of study int o the matter. The pedestrian view is all salt is the same, after looking into it I find that is not the case. But the dilemma is one can use only so much. The same goes for peppercorns, lots of differences & applications & tastes. I am WELL stocked in both.
          Other spices you have to be careful & have a small supply, like a couple of months to maybe a year’s worth tops. Any more & you’re wasting the spice & money.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, I would be curious to learn more on the various salts and uses for the different types you have. Thank you in advance .

Richard, I have a book (kindle) titled Salted. By Mark Bitterman. "A manefesto of the world’s most essential mineral". It is quite informative, really takes you to school on the world’s different salts & will instruct you on tastes that you might want to explore.
          I use Morton’s kosher, which is a process (kosher) & not a type of salt, industrialized as is Diamond Cristal which is a kosher flake. I have an Irish salt, threw the package away so don’t know the name. Himalayan salt, which is a rock salt & has nothing to do with the mountain range unless you call Pakistan in the range, I guess they are both on the same continent. Lastly, Black truffle salt that I use on eggs, steak & popcorn. Hope this helps Richard Chrz
          Last edited by FireMan; May 20, 2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here