Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Grinder

Whenever I pop up to Medford, OR for a shopping trip (no sales tax!) I always plan my stops around a visit to a little, and I mean little, sandwich joint called Luigi's. They make this awesome sandwich they call the Garbage Grinder. They come in 3 sizes and I can barely get through the small one, though I ate a medium once and thought I was going to die. It's an Italian sandwich with ham, salami, cheese, peppers, and onions that is run through a broiler. It's a crunchy, melty, savory, sweet and salty, peppery flavor extravaganza.

Anyway, we haven't been there in a while, but I've been jonesing for a grinder and decided I'd try my hand at making one. I scrolled through Luigi's Yelp pics and found one of their menu board listing the ingredients, gathered everything up, summoned all of my considerable memory power, and......uh.....what was I talking about....... oh yeah, made a sandwich. The result was pretty darned close to what Luigi's makes and the wife and I really enjoyed them. She said my version was better, but I think she's buttering me up for something and I'm waiting for that shoe to drop.

Here's a list of the ingredients used followed by the obligatory pics:

Soft hoagie roll
    Marinara sauce
    2 slices of deli ham
    2 slices of Genoa salami
    4 slices of block mozzarella
    2 slices of provolone
    Dill pickle chips to taste
    Jalapeno chips to taste
    Sliced sweet onion to taste
    Sliced black olives

Assemble, place on a cookie sheet, broil on high until the cheese melts and the edges of the meat start to caramelize.

Thers's a lot more you can add to this like mushrooms, green or red bell pepper, Italian sausage, etc.

The jones was sufficiently suffonsified.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinder.1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	680406

Name:	grinder.2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	680407

Name:	grinder.3.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	680408

Name:	grinder.4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	680409

Name:	grinder.5.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	680410

Name:	grinder.6.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	680411

Name:	grinder.7.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	680412

Name:	grinder.8.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	680413

That looks fantastic!

Comment

I would Definitely Eat That!!!!!!!!!! Looks Great!

Comment

So you just slam those two sammie halves together, set a beer nearby, and have at it? Looks delicious!

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Eggsactly. I think I might even have 1/2 of one for lunch today (sans the beer).

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          And it was delicious. Again.

Oh man, and I haven't had lunch yet. Need to find a deli counter and some rolls.

Let us know when that shoe drops...

Comment

Lookin' great. I have made something similar, but I fried and shredded the meat like is done for a cheese steak sub. The cheese goes on top of the shredded meat long enough to melt. That's great too.

Comment

I love a good sammich/grinder. Throw some vinegar and oil on it and I’m there !!! Oh yea and don’t forget the chips

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I considered oil and vinegar as well, I'll give it try on the next one. We did onion rings and fries on the side.

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking it was screaming for some giardiniera, looks excellent.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely throw in a few sweet peppers

Yes please!

Comment

Yum. It reminds me of a little sandwich shop out in the San Fernando valley by the Van Nuys airport. Scrumptious.

Comment

Looks like a great sandwich but around here we call them subs!

In MASS Italians are made with Genoa Salami, Capicola Ham, Sopressata, sharp provolone cheese, all piled high with chopped pickles, onions, and tomatoes. Drizzled with Olive Oil salt and pepper. Hot peppers optional. On a sub roll or braided Italian roll. NEVER lettuce! Never toasted, veggies MUST be chopped not sliced. You will be shot if you ask for mayo.

People fight over who makes the best and loyalty runs deep!

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We have a local shop here in Huntsville called Stanleo's Sub Villa that makes something similar, with the tomatoes, pickles and peppers all chopped. You cannot get it toasted, but they will throw the meat on the griddle to give you a hot sandwich. Mmmm. Hot Kitchen Sink is my favorite, with peppers.

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jfmorris That's funny my pic was a sub from Santoro's Sub Villa!

That looks fantastic CaptainMike !!! If my wife was not on a no/low carb kick and booting bread out of the house, I would be on that in a heartbeat.

Comment

I would be truly suffonsified if I got to eat that.
                  Superb.
                  Like you mention lots can be added but sometimes just a few core ingredients make for good enough.
                  Would work nicely using a pizza oven instead of a broiler.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, Luigi's does there's in a pizza oven/conveyor belt unit.

I'm from Chicago baby, and here's our crown jewel....the ubiquitous Italian Beef with giardiniera ..... dipped !!!!!

Comment

• Old Glory
                    Old Glory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    On my list!

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know on mine too. I'm thinking a nice piece of round sliced paper thin ought to do the trick !!!

Great looking sandwich. The word grinder threw me a bit! I thought you had a new piece of machinery from Italy when I clicked on the thread.🙂

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know right? I thought it was some type of newfangled meat grinder

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MCS never sleeps!

On the other hand, in western CT, we called them grinders.

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Coincidentally, we do have a tomato grinder that was made in Italy. They call it a spremipomodoro.

NYC its a hero, can’t seem to call it anything other than that for some reason, although my parents still insist on using "sangwhich", I cut them some slack they were born in Italy and came as children. When my buddy and I started college in Troy NY we called them hero’s at the deli and they looked at us cross eyed 😵

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here