Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Competition Style Chicken Thighs An Acquired Taste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Competition Style Chicken Thighs An Acquired Taste

So, this is my first post here (thanks @ABCBBQ Dave for introducing me to the site) and I thought I would get some perspective on competition style Chicken. I tried Harry Soo's method this weekend (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dGDwVMehUw) and was somewhat underwhelmed. I mean it was good, but I am so used to a crispy skinned thigh. Anyone else have this problem (acquiring the taste)? Does that sound normal?
    Attached Files

Not to me. I love comp thighs much more than traditional thighs these days.

Comment

I'm with you, ndogg138 .

Comment

I very much admire Harry Soo, an what he has accomplished.
        I have not tried this receipt, so cain't speak, personally, to its outcome.
        If it tasted good, but soggy skin, I dunno...
        Mebbe ya could pull off a quick sear, over live fire, or in yer oven's broiler, to crisp th skin up a bit?
        Yers look great, but I wouldn't be mad if mine was a few shades darker, jus so long as they had th crispy skin...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Oops, I fergot what Mudkat jus said:

Howdy from Kansas Territory!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

I believe you should never have to "acquire a taste" of anything.

Eat what tastes good to you and if it doesn’t taste good to you don’t eat it or change it next time so it tastes good to you.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. I am going to have to agree with Mr. Bones I haven't tried Harry's recipe, but crisping up the skin a bit would be a nice addition.

That's the joy of doing the cooking yourself. Experiment with it. Next time you do a batch use the same recipe and then finish some going off original recipe, some over charcoal for a few minutes to crisp the skin, and then maybe throw some under the broiler to crisp it. Just some ideas to see what you prefer and then you can go from there.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

I've done Harry's method several times and love it. I also like high heat chicken cooks for the crispy skin. So in short, I love them both ways.

Comment

I have no reason to cook competition anything since I'm not a comp cook, so why stress over it? Are you planning on entering a bbq competition? If not, cook what you like to eat is my only advice.

And welcome to the Pit from the Republic of Texas.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

The rule in our household is cook per the recipe the first time ... then tweak it to suit your taste thereafter. Sounds like you need to make a few tweaks! But this batch of your chicken thighs sure looks yummy even if the skin isn't crispy!

My friend Keenan has done a few competitions and I've been allowed to watch what goes on in a couple of comps. If you made the chicken skin crispy in a competition, the skin would just get soggy in the presentation box while waiting for the judges. So there's no reason in this context for crispy chicken skin. It's kind of a different world -- what they do in competition doesn't always translate to what tastes best at home.

Comment

Thanks all. I am so glad that I found this site - the constructive replies are so appreciated. To add, I was considering entering competition, but I think I am going to work on becoming a judge before competing. For the time being (as many have said) I am going to work on grilling the way I like it. Looking forward to sharing in the future.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here