Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie’s ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie’s ribs.

Growing up my grandma would boil ribs and they were the rubbery stuff I was never really thrilled about. When I had my first apartment I used to slow cook ribs in the oven directly on the grates but was a mess. Eventually I moved to the grill low and slow and they were okay. I’ve tried partially baking them in pan first but childhood memories made me nauseous. Since I happened upon this site my interest is renewed and the quest for great ribs continues.

I (Morton Kosher) salted the ribs overnight and then added Penzey’s BBQ rub prior to cooking. It was a gift and decided to go with it despite having gathered all the Memphis Dust ingredients. Also, it was a time factor. In retrospect I think it was a little too much salt and forgot about checking. Next time I will probably just add it to dry brine or go with the dust.

My grill is was purchased last year and I have been having a little trouble figuring out the indirect heat. I also recently purchased Grill Grates to add to the complication. This time I decided to try the middle area and it mostly worked out pretty well. I do have a digital thermometer gun thingy and it registered around 240ish on the sides of the Grill Grates and only about 200 in the middle. The Temperature Guage that came with it ran about 300 the whole time which I know is largely inaccurate.

After about 3 hours I loosely wrapped them in butcher paper. I really like this idea over the foil and wanted to try it. I let it go for an hour and realized my gas had run out because of course. I had another can switched and it wasn’t that big of a deal except for time. The outer guage read about 200 so it hadn't been real long with out the heat.

I was using a cheaper Rizen instant temperature probe and it kept reading at about 190. After another hour I realized I might have gone to long so I sauced them up. They were good. I mean they are ribs after all. They fell off the bone but were a little over cooked.

It it was a great learning experience and feel I can do much better next time. I want to try the Blasphemy ribs next!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ByTor; May 13, 2019, 11:42 AM.

Forgot I did use the smoker tube with Apple pellets. It’s the only pellets I have as of yet to be honest.
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh yeah, I got a spray bottle and filled it with apple juice and Apple cider vinegar and completely forgot to use it! haha

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Spritzing ribs just cools them down and extends the cook time. Bark can suffer, and your rub can wash off. It's something I did back in the 90's, and learned over time not to do.

They look pretty good to me. Blasphemy is a great technique, I think you will like it.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! It definitely looks like you are making progress in your search for great ribs.

Comment

Nice work utilizing that gasser. Been a while since I cooked ribs on mine, I may give it a try for old time sake.

Comment

Montgomery Inn, nice! You a Cincy guy?!

Comment

• ByTor
              ByTor commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep! their sauce is pretty sweet but I had family that likes it.

• Ground Chuck
              Ground Chuck commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice man! Just across the river.

Good looking ribs ByTor ! Blasphemy ribs are great, and take about half the time (2.5 hours for me). The advantage - bark and rub/sauce all over each rib. The disadvantage - it takes more space on the grate. And you won't want to wrap them.

If these were too fall off the bone, you might want to just skip the wrap entirely next time, and leave everything else the same.

I don't dry brine with salt if I use a salty rub. I like one called Bad Byron's Butt Rub that I buy around here, and its salty, so I just use the rub as my dry brine.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing your next cook! Now I need to go take some ribs out of the deep freeze....

Comment

Ribs look good ! Thanks for sharing .

Comment

Good looking ribs and sure they tasted a lot better than the boiled ones.

Comment

Good lookin' ribs!

Comment

Your ribs look great to me.

Comment

Very nicely done, them ribs look great!

Comment

Looks tasty

Comment

Welcome! Thanks for you support and for sharing your story.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here