Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 pounds of pulled pork - how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So - event finished up, all done. Meat turned out great - everything turned out great! Thanks so much to all of you for the help and support. Love this community!

For everyone's benefit, I'll upload a graph of my cook. You'll see that everything was cooking along (pun intended) until about 7:20. Then at 8:37 I discovered the stove had stopped. Thing were going again at 9:15. At 10:45 I wrapped the pork and got it going.

The first one hit 198 and I pulled it at 12:02, just a few minutes after target time. The next couple hit 203 starting in 45 minutes and about every half hour. I had hot fresh pulled pork for the next several hours. I would guess that we had about 120 guests come through over the next five hours. We ended up with about 14 pounds left over at the end of the evening. We even gave away 5 or 6 pounds for folks to take home.

All in all, it was a very successful event. There were a few moments of panic, but sticking to it things turned out great.
    Attached Files

Comment

Glad to hear it all turned out okay!

Comment

This is a great write up for lessons learned. Thanks for sharing. I have been working on a little spreadsheet to calculate how much raw meat to purchase for different size crowds. 1/2 pound is the rule of thumb and nothing wrong with that but I just enjoy seeing how accurate I can estimate and still be generous. If your numbers are accurate you were serving on average a little over 5 oz person. This includes giving people food to take home and having 4 lbs of leftover. This would have been about 58 pounds of raw meat which includes waste for bone/fat. It confirms a recent article I read were the caterer uses .39 lbs per person which is a little over 6 ounces per person.
        Also in calculating time your start time worked out pretty close.
        Last edited by jecucolo; May 12, 2019, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• MrSkimo
          MrSkimo commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, you’re right. I probably lost 2 hours because I ran my grill out of fuel. The earlier start time gave me the opportunity to recover. All the meat would have been done and holding otherwise

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here