Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

68 pounds of pulled pork - how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djl
    replied
    At least 10. Maybe even 9 for extra wiggle room. I don't usually wrap pork, but in your shoes I would consider wrapping at least when it is done and storing in a cooler (or 2 coolers). They will stay very close to perfect in the cooler for hours. That way you can start cooking early to guarantee it is ready on time. If it is ready early just store in the cooler until it is time to pull.

Leave a comment:

• Nuke em
    replied
    Also ya can bump the temp up to 275 and they would get done faster. If ya do, it would take about 2-3 off the cook time with no ill effects to the meat

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I would allow at least an hour and a half per pound. If it were me, I would start at least 10 PM on Friday night.

Leave a comment:

• Backroadmeats
    replied
    I just did this last weekend..I had about 55 lb of pork butts all about 9-10 lbs.. put in at 7:00 Saturday night and they were done at 9 am Sunday morning .. cooked at 250.. no crutch used.. took out of the smoker and put in pans at 150 in holding cabinet.. pull them right before you serve them.. they were fantastic!! Are you going to dry brine??? You should last weekend was my first time doing it that way and it will be the way I do it from now on!!

Leave a comment:

• MrSkimo
    started a topic 68 pounds of pulled pork - how long?

68 pounds of pulled pork - how long?

Okay, I know there’s no definitive answer to this. There are too many variables. Just looking for opinions, or what best guesses you might make in a similar position.

I have a GMG Jim Bowie pellet grill, and am going to smoke 2 - 18 pound Kurobata/Berkshire shoulders and 4 - 8 pound pork butts from Costco at the same time at 225F. I will have the four butts on the upper rack, and the shoulders on the main level. Needs to be ready at noon on Saturday for a party. I debated splitting the cook in two and reheating the Costco butts, but thought better of it and going for them all together. I can pull some of them early to the oven or warming drawer if need be.

I’m thinking that because of the massive heat sink of meat in there, especially the shoulders, I need to give it extra time. Weather will be mid 40’s to mid 50’s and raining/humid (my cooker is under cover).

I’m thinking of giving it 12 hours and starting the cook at midnight. I can monitor the internal temps and push the cook temp up as I get closer. Thoughts?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here