Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig roast question about ordering the hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig roast question about ordering the hog

I have meatheads book and enjoy it very much, my latest challenge is to try and roast a whole pig. The problem is the local supplier says they cannot cut through the backbone and remove the spinal cord because of the type of saw they use. They did say they can cut it right in half. Should I have them do that or do I need to figure out how to remove the backbone adn cord myself?

Thanks
    Eli

I can't help, but Welcome to The Pit Eli.

Comment

Do you have a 4" grinder? Get a fine tooth wood blade for it. Will work well for cutting the backbone. Wear an old shirt as it flings crap everywhere.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Skilsaw with the blade depth set shallow will work also. After you are finished leave it outside for the cats to clean it for you.

Welcome to the Pit! Go Giants!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Go Giants??? They are in the cellar 7 games behind the LA DODGERS!!!

Unless, of course, you are referring to some other sport that doesn't matter! ;-)

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a test to see if our "new" Eli was my quarterback from the NY Giants ComfortablyNumb

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP now that's funny right there!

Welcome to the Pit! Go Giants!
      Are you that Eli? What do you think about Daniel Jones? Welcome from TN

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

Why do you need to remove the spinal cord?? I have done lots of whole hog cooks and never removed the spinal cord??

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            I'll back you up on this one, we've done several as well with the hog trussed on a spit, fully intact less intestines. Must be something in Meathead's book about it, guess I'll have to check it out.

Would there be any issue cutting the pig completely in half?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            No, and if you had it split removing the spinal cord would be easy.

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            If they cut it perfectly down the middle.. if they get off a little bit I may still be a chore!!

Thanks for replies, Looking around online I saw some people use a machete and hammer to split the back bone, i'm still undecided if I will try that or have them cut it right in half. In Meathead's book he recommends splaying it so it cooks more evenly, although I know many people use the spit

Comment

Just set it on the rack like it fell asleep there.. that is a big piece of meat and very forgiving .. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170826_095247756.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	676633

Comment

Pat Martin cracked and spread em at Stagecoach Music Fest
              Attached Files

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup lots of people do!! Not saying it is wrong but I cook 20 hog cooks a year and don't do it.. lots of different ways to do stuff.

I just flipped through the section in Sam Jones's book on prepping the hog and he does splay it in half but there is no mention of removing the spinal cord.

At a whole hog class I went to recently they did recommend removing the cord.

In Sam's book he explains splitting the hog using a reciprocating saw.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                Did they tell you why they recommend removing the spinal chord??yeah it looks gross.. I don't serve it..the only way you could possibly see it is you cut the hog perfectly in half.

• clb239
                clb239 commented
                Editing a comment
                The demo was a half hog so it was easy to get to...I do not remember the reason why they removed it...I have watched some videos on whole hog and did not see the cord removed on them...

The person doing the class was a whole hog comp cook so some of the prep instructions seemed to be about appearance...

Wcome to the Pit Eli! Keep us posted on your cook.

Comment

Safety? Eating the brain or spinal tissue of any animal exposes you to any number of diseases. Remember "Mad Cow Disease,", Meningitis, chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy, and a host of prion diseases.

Comment

Could be Donw .. I have a buddy that usually drinks while I cook the pig. Then after quite a bit of whiskey will eat the eyeball!! It is pretty nasty!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here