Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Rib Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Rib Cook

Hello Smokers Made my first shot at ribs on my 22.5" Weber kettle yesterday. I used the Last Meal ribs recipe, Memphis Dust as the rub, and the KC style barbecue sauce recipe on this site. A couple of screwups were made, but the final product was great. I had two racks of baby back ribs purchased at Kroger, previously frozen. I had to cut the racks in half to fit them on my grill. I have the Weber rib rack that doubles as a roast holder and the darn thing was too large to have a whole rack in each slot without putting them over the direct heat. Is there another rack I can get or dey they all have this problem? Thank the lord I didn't get 3 racks of ribs as I had initially planned (before seeing the racks were $15.00 each). During the prep I forgot to dry the ribs and I forgot to add oil to them. I was able to keep the temperature a steady 223 for hours which, surprised me more than anyone. The ribs took about 5 hours to cook, but they were the meatiest ribs I've ever come across. Meat was tender and slightly firm. My wife made the barbecue sauce slightly hotter and it was great, much better than KC Masterpiece. I'm extremely pleased with my first try. Here are some pics. The first one is before carmelizing the sauce and the second is during. I would probably never of attempted this without all the instructions on the site.

Looks good, TT! I ran into that lid problem with the rib rack and tried a couple of other different brands, including Raichlen's, but had the same problem. I solved it by buying a WSM.

It might be possible to rearrange the coals to use a snake rather than piling them on one side of the grill. That could allow you to put the rack more in the center. I haven't tried it but it sounds possible, at least theoretically.

Congrats on the first rib cook!!!

Comment

Congrats on the cook and the proper brush for sauces.

Comment

Lookin GOOD TT.

Comment

TT, congrats!! You are hooked now. Glad your first attempt was a huge success. I look forward to seeing more of you on the boards here and the pics really made your point.

Comment

Stumbled across this on another board. Maybe the Weber fuel baskets would work? That looks like Raichlen's rib rack but I suspect I suspect the Weber would work as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	weber_ribs.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	6786

Comment

The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that I need a bigger grill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennessee Trash View Post
                The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that I need a bigger grill.

Check this out. Let us know what suits your fancy.

Comment

Jumping into the pool head first is the way to go. I learn 40 years ago by trial and error and burn a few racks. Barbeque will enhance your life!

Comment

I've been seriously considering getting a pit barrel cooker for Christmas. 8 racks of ribs at the same time is pretty enticing.

Comment

WTG TT

NICE!

Comment

Good job! And now the SO knows what to get you for Christmas, a bigger rig.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here