Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gochujang Heaven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gochujang Heaven!

Steven Raichlen turned me onto this in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQwp5SEeFU

I used it for Pork Tenderloins tonight. Just rubbed it on (a bit too much, actually!) about 45 minutes prior to putting it on the grill. One chunk of applewood.

Wow.....intense flavor and heat without either being overly above board. (It is very spicy. But I love food that is both hot and flavorful, not just capsacicin!) I was actually worried that I should not have done any wood smoke at all, but the applewood was perfect. Just a kiss of wood smoke. There, but not overpowering.

350-375. I pulled it at 140. Juicy and lovely. Side was some HEB classic cole slaw.
    Attached Files

Looks really good!..
    Thanks for the videolink

Comment

We often cook Korean and keep a big tub of gochujang.

If you have access to a Korean market try Ssamjang paste. It is the sauce that is used with Korean BBQ.

I am introducing Ssamjang to you today, a kind of Korean dipping sauce. I've posted ssamjang recipes in the past, always as a side dish for things like grilled beef (soegogi gui) and grilled pork belly (samgyeopsal gui), but the ratio can vary depending on your personal preference and mood. This...

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the link.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Outstanding! Another Maangchi fan!

I've made Raichlen's Korean Pulled Pork recipe a few times over the past year and it is wonderful. In fact, I made it for Easter this year and served it on Chinese steamed buns and offered Vietnamese salad (which reads like a slaw) as an accompaniment. I get the Chinese steamed buns in the freezer section of an Asian market.

However, the Korean BBQ Sauce recipe that Raichlen has for the recipe is too firey-spicy for my husband, family and friends. If you can find a mild Gochujang sauce (they make it), then it works better for those who do not like the heat of gochujang. The pork itself has only a mild heat to it after smoking for several hours and was not objectionable to them. If you like firey heat, then his sauce is truly remarkable. I love it. I make a batch and store the unused portion in pint mason jars in the freezer for future use.

The caramelization of the surface of the pork mixed with the spices of the gochugang is a perfect match for pulled pork.

Haven't tried it with pork tenderloin, Michael_in_TX . Sounds like a quick easy way to use up more of that Korean BBQ Sauce. Thanks for the idea!

Bkhuna , thanks for the link to Maangchi's Ssamjang Sauce. I have her cookbook but hadn't noticed that recipe. I sounds delish.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang Doc!! I want Easter at your house. Gangster Meal.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I am very quickly leaning towards using pork tenderloins to experiment with different rubs glazes. They are decently inexpensive, cook relatively fast, and I seem to be able to do it consistently. (Plus they taste fantastic.)

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        What a good idea, Michael. Michael_in_TX

Kathryn

Lookin' good.

Comment

Really wanting to try this sometime soon...

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          That is SO happening in my near future!

OK, did this a couple of days ago and it's yummy. The sauce is wicked. I added a little ketchup, didn't have 7up so I added some rice vinegar over what the recipe said. Going to use it on chicken too.

Comment

Ok...got a couple friends that, like me, like a bit of heat...so this one is on deck for an upcoming cook. Thanks!

Comment

I discovered Gochujang last year, love it. It's a little spicy for some, so you have to be careful. Sometimes, I put a teaspoon or so in sloppy joes. I get mine from Amazon.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I recently found that my local Kroger was carrying it, but before that, found that you could get it at all of the Asian markets in town. The lady at the Asian market warned me to add sugar to whatever I was making with the Gochujang paste!

Sounds really good. For my next pork shoulder, I'm going to do his whole recipe. I love gochujang and use it all the time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here