Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time using the dry brine!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time using the dry brine!!

Well here goes .. 45 lbs of pork butts dry brined and tucked in until tomorrow night!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_081016359.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	673531Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_081610281.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	673532Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_082242253.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	673533

Dry brining is a game-changer.

Comment

"Game-changer" has gotten to be such a cliche, but JeffJ is correct, it is a game changer.

And by the way, I wish I had some of that Hobart equipment, I'm green with envy, not with bucks for such !!!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha! I do love that sealer.. I bought it on an auction for 750$.. wish I could find 5 more!!

I am immensely jealous that you have a chamber vacuum sealer

Comment

Oh yes! You will notice a difference. Nice Vacmaster! They are sweet. I have the P215v and I love it!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Scientifically proven to improve your results!* Backroadmeats

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker ya can't argue with success..the knowledge and kindness on this site is amazing. Everything I have tried from Meathead book has been better than how I have made it previously.. I can't believe how some little adjustments to my process has changed my results so drastically.. until 2 months ago I never used a meat thermometer on steaks and I seared first.. now I reverse sear with a thermometer.. the wife said the first time I cooked them his way to do that from now on!!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I am with you. I did a 180 on a tons of techniques as well. This site and its members changed my cooking for a life time. Tough to pay that back. Backroadmeats

Ya got this!

Comment

Salting ahead of time for thick pieces is the single most important step, other than proper cooking/finishing, to making great BBQ if you ask me. You can get by without it on something you'll shred & mix up like pulled pork if you're in a jam, but it still helps each shred of meat be flavorful. But with thick stuff like brisket or roasts that you slice, man ya just gotta!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee. .. I have quickly become a believer in Meathead philosophy and can't argue his research but I have had people raving about my bbq for years.. then to totally change my process . I also took all the salt out of my rub,. I sell a ton of this stuff.. I now have a rub I cook with that has no salt.. and a rub I sell to the uneducated with a bunch of salt in it.. it is funny to me how my understanding of cooking has changed since I got "the" book..

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear you, I think a lot of us went through that. Tip= even when using a saltless rub and dry brine, I still sprinkle just a little dose of salt on the top after the rub to give that bark some sparkle. I find it a touch bland if I don't. Backroadmeats

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee thanks for the tip!! I will do that and post pics.. cuz if I don't it didn't happen!!

I tell my wife that someday I'll make something that's not an experiment. Lol! I try to learn new ways every time I cook!

Comment

• Mike Boggan
            Mike Boggan commented
            Editing a comment
            Boy do I agree about dry brining. However, if all that is absorbed is the salt, why can’t you combine it in the rub and save a step/time? Thank you guys for sharing!!

The butts are at about 194.. but the smell when I opened the door to outside is amazing!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190504_184734451_BURST001.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	674481Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190504_185059766.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	674482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190505_071737014.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	674483

Comment

Time to rest til this afternoon . Took about 14 hours with no crutch. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190505_083629240.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	674502Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190505_084125341.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	674503

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here