Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many briquetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many briquetts

As I get ready to venture into my 1st cook on the kettle, question. Most likely 1 rack of ribs for my wife and I. Worst case 2 if my daugters crew shows up. My experience on the gasser at 225ish, was 2.5 to 3 hours. So assuming same temp, how much fuel? Have a chimney. Thanks.

Sounds like yer talkin BBRs, if ya were gittin em done in 2.5-3 hrs @ 225°, am I correct?

Well, regardless, here's what our friends at ABCBBQ have to say:

How to light a Slow 'N Sear® in a Charcoal Kettle Grill with detailed instructions for roasting, baking, high heat, or low and slow.

I prefer to light my initial 12 or so coals in an inverted Weber chimley, seems faster, more even propagation, but to each, his/her own.

This oughtta git ya started, doubtless, others will chime in, an please feel free to ask any/all questions ya may have, before, durin, or after...

Wishin ya best of luck on yer first kettle cook!

Ya got this, so don't be a stressin out, Brother!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that link Mr. Bones !
      Just bought the SnS myself..

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Elton's BBQ Always my pleasure to be of any assistance, Brother!

Yup on the 12 or so. Then for a 3/4 chimney total. My time is longer, but I do spare wibs, whole or St. Louie depending.

Please get the normanclature down, 1 wack of wibs for the wife & me.
    Last edited by FireMan; May 2, 2019, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Baby backs take at least 4 hours for me at 225, and spares take 5-6. You need to add some time if you want them done properly in the kettle. I usually fill the slow n sear up, after putting the obligatory 10-12 lit coals in one corner. About one full chimney.

Comment

You did not say if you are using an SnS. If so either add a dozen or so lit charcoals to a chimney of unlit coals or add an unlit chimney of coals to the lit coals. Place the lit coals in one end all together - do not spread them out. The object is to have the lit coals spread slowly across the unlit coals so that only a few are burning at any one time. That allows you to keep the temp down. BTW - anywhere between 225* and 275* will work well. Some even go to a higher temp. What I'm sayin' is don't sweat a bit of temp fluctuation.

If you are not using an SnS, I suggest using the snake method.

Comment

A chimney of coals fixes a lot of things. If thats all you have cook hotter.

In my life I use a chimney for everything and go from there.

You will be fine in the SnS. About 80-90 count of KBB all told.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Does that somehow equate to the 3 finger measure ?!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman With the hook up I got a fat two fingers for 5.

Thanks all. Did not think about using the SnS. I have it so might as well use it. I'll account for longer cook.

Glad I remembered to take them out of the freezer. I have forgotten in the past. That ends up being a problem.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            The only way to cook wibs on a Weber.

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            I love throwing frozen meat on the grill/smoker. I do it all of the time. The exterior of the meat develops a deeper sear because it sits in the cooker longer.

One other question. Hope it's the last, but most likely not. Since I'll be using the SnS for the BBR's, water or not on the SnS? Advice, please.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            For a shorter cook, like ribs, might as well start by addin some very hot water to it, after dumpin in yer unlit coals with yer lit ones...cain't hurt nuthin, an it'll give ya some practice.

By th time it has evaporated, ya oughtta be gittin some pretty nice bark startin to form, or already formed. Whether to refill is up to yerself. Moisture on yer proteins helps smoke to adhere, a fancy name fer stick to it...

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I use water, but don't refill it on longer cooks.

I think I answered my own question referring to the link the Honerable Mr. Bones had attached from ABC. I would still be interested in takes one way or the other.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            I use water in my SnS for ribs up until i wrap.

1st cook a success. BBR's with SnS. About 4 hours to done. Seasoned with Memphis Dust. One thing, I forgot to buy any wood chunks. So, I used chips (apple). Estimated what would have been a chunk and placed 3 piles on the coals, I think I had a bit too much as the smoke was rather prominent. I'll learn, get chunks and less wood. Bark and moisture was fine. It was so easy to regulate grill temp. Stayed between 225 up tp 235 throughout the cook. I did have to wrap them as we had grandsons and i needed to throw some burgers on and get them fed. In oven at 200 for about 1 hour.

Here are some pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kettle_Ribs (3).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	674530Click image for larger version

Name:	Kettle_Ribs (2).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	674529Click image for larger version

Name:	Kettle_Ribs (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	674528

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Those ribs look fantastic to me.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Say, them ribs look jus fine, Brother! Haveta admit I'm eyeballin them seasoned fries, as well
            Congrats on a job well done!

Nice looking cook!

Comment

Mr. Bones this is the fries. They are really good. Hope you can get them in your neck of the woods.

​

Comment

I'm not seein yer pics, although I most graciously thank ya fer tryin to post em, especial, on my behalf, Amigo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Richie B Fries 001.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	674697

Comment

Sorry about that right from my phone. I googled it. I never saw them got in local super market. It's a drive through franchise in 28 states. But sold in stores. Here's a link. Looks like sold in Walmart. So if you're in a stones throw of a Walmart (who isn't) maybe you can get them there.

Comment

There was a Checkers in the city I grew up in. I love their fries!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here