Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking pork butt the day before the crowd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's pulled pork. It's fine. People love it - even the boring stuff from the supermarket deli. It'll be fine no matter what you do, so do what's easiest for you.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      We do tend to overthink don't we. And really nothing better then to just do it, and try different things once you have found a consistency that you can measure against.

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
    I used to stress about cooking lunch for a crowd...no longer!!! After years of losing sleep during an all-night cook I changed my methods...

Last year I did pork shoulders (for pulled pork) and cooked all day - started at 8am Friday for a noonish lunch on Saturday. By 10pm Friday the shoulders were beautifully black with a thick bark, and about 200°F (very nearly prove tender). I pulled, wrapped, and put in a warming oven at 170°F overnight. That was the longest and best rest ever!

I pulled the shoulders just before everyone arrived for lunch on Saturday - moist and delicious - it was truly the best pulled pork I’d ever done. That’s the only way I’ve done it since!

***also doing brisket the same way...the overnight hold at 170°F is money!!! Zero need to cool and reheat!!!
    Santamarina Huskee Richard Chrz Troutman You guys have bailed me out here. Any other advice past what I have read above? I cooked all night to pull today 11am for a party at 3pm. Turns out my party is not today, but tomorrow AT 3PM. You guys think wrap in a pan un-pulled in the 170 oven with rwalters finishing liquid in there? Or pull wrap and cool, then re-heat at 250 tomorrow? Thanks all, truly the best site for cooks!!!! Cheers, gonna grab a beer and face plant in bed now..... ​

Comment

Originally posted by PaynTrain View Post

Santamarina Huskee Richard Chrz Troutman You guys have bailed me out here. Any other advice past what I have read above? I cooked all night to pull today 11am for a party at 3pm. Turns out my party is not today, but tomorrow AT 3PM. You guys think wrap in a pan un-pulled in the 170 oven with rwalters finishing liquid in there? Or pull wrap and cool, then re-heat at 250 tomorrow? Thanks all, truly the best site for cooks!!!! Cheers, gonna grab a beer and face plant in bed now..... ​
      Pull today, add finishing sauce and reheat tomorrow @ 180° in a tightly sealed pan for 4-5 hours (stirring a a few times). Pretty much the only way I do pulled pork anymore. Brain dead easy and fantabulous results every time
      Last edited by rwalters; October 15, 2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• PaynTrain
        PaynTrain commented
        Editing a comment
        rwalters gonna run with it! Do you shred it then proceed, or shred once re-heated? Thanks!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here