Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot & fast pork butt question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot & fast pork butt question.

I have a question. I'm doing three pork butts at 325 to 350 degrees hot and fast today. They're almost done and I'm going to let them rest in the cooler with towels for a couple hours and then put them in oven bags in a ice cooler filled with a 50/50 mix of ice and water. Tomorrow I plan on taking them out putting the bags in the oven and reheating to serve at a church function. What temperature should I set the oven for the reheat and how long should I heat them? Thanks everyone for your help!

They're about 10 lb each.

Comment

I wouldn't put them in the cooler, I would cool at room temp down to about 140 then go to the ice mixture. If you go to the cooler them dudes are going to keep cooking for some time and reheating tomorrow will likely over do things.

Reheating tomorrow go to at least 165 internal, maybe a little higher to pull better.

Comment

You better pull the meat tonight while it’s hot. Reheat it in the morning in crockpots or something, already pulled. It won’t pull easily unless you reheat it back well past serving temperatures tomorrow.and that will take hours.

Comment

• BRic
          BRic commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with you , pull the meat while its hot , save the juice , add to meat and bag . put in crockpots with some juice that was saved , The meat will stay moist in crock pot
          while heating .

So if I put the meat in a 200-degree oven how long do y'all think it will take to get to 165 degrees? Remember the meat will still be in the oven bags. I will bring it out of the icy water and go straight to the oven.

Comment

I think pulling now is better, and then reheating the pulled pork tomorrow. It's easier to pull now, and easier to reheat tomorrow. Reheat in a crockpot or dutch oven, with half a cup (or so) of broth at the bottom of the pan. That will keep moisture in, and steam will help with the reheating.

Comment

If you have a Sous Vide machine, that is my favorite way to reheat pulled pork. Definitely pull while hot. Then vac seal and reheat in 140 degree bath for an hour or so.

Comment

When I make ahead fer next day consumption, as is most often th case fer work potlucks, I pan, whole, covered tightly with foil, an put in my oven on low. (Mine's 170°)
              Always been fine, temp, texture, taste, moisture-wise, all around.
              I pull it as th noontime meal approaches...

Comment

I have found that, if I take the pork all the way to the point of pull, you know, that probe tender moment, the correct solution for me is to do the following:

Vac Seal directly off the grill. Shock to fridge temp in 50-50 ice-water, and fridge.

The day of service, I use the sous vide for 140, and let it go until service time. If it was ready to pull before, it will be ready to pull at 140. I start pulling by manipulating it in the bag. Bring a couple gloves, as it will be 140, which is hot enough to be hot on the hands while pulling. You can shred pretty well in the bag, dump to a platter and finish pulling with forks.

Have done this for office parties a couple times now.

Comment

• Santamarina
                  Santamarina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This seems like the most compelling argument for a SV machine.

• Hulagn1971
                  Hulagn1971 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent suggestion.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I suspect 135 would work, as well, but I do 140 as something like a hotter faster... generally have 3-4 hours to get it up to temp. Happy it worked well for you.

This is how I did it and it turned out great! Once IT hit 203 and they were probe tender I let them rest in the cooler for an hour. Then I put them in oven bags and placed them in a big cooler with 50/50 ice and water. They stayed there over night which left us room in the fridge for the sides. The next morning my wife starts making Meathead's Sweet and Sour Slaw and his smoked potato salad recipe (sans smoked potatoes, just regular red skinned). I help her then take the bags out of the cooler and place them in the oven at 225. After an hour, I realize the temp is not rising fast enough. I bump it to 275. Another hour goes by and I start sweating bullets. Crank it to 350. Going up at a little faster rate now. With an hour left before I have to leave to take the food to church I crank it up to 375. Twenty minutes to go and I run upstairs to take a shower. Back downstairs with 5 minutes to go. I was thinking I'd have to take them to 165 but they hit 144 and I had to go. My wife left 45 minutes earlier and had set up everything and taken the sides. Pulled them out of the oven and back in a room temp cooler with towels. Heading to church I got caught by every light. When I got there 15 minutes later it was 12:35pm. We were supposed to be serving at 12:15. People were lined up grinning and ready to eat. 40 people RSVP'd for the event and there were probably about 30 people which eased my nerves a bit since I had cooked 3 butts. When I took the first chunk of meat out to pull and put it in the pan I grabbed it with my foodsafe hot temp food gloves and just started pulling. This was by far the best pork butt cook I have ever done. The meat was extremely juicy, bark was not mushy and the meat just pulled apart as i squeezed it in my hands. The smell was intoxicating. Withe fewer people I was able to put large baseball sized portions on their plates as their eyes almost popped out of their heads. The Pastor and others could not stop the compliments and they all said it was the best bbq they had ever had...This is in NC! I was so glad it came out well as I was very nervous since I had never used this technique. Normally I do a test run on cooking techniques before doing it for others but this was a last minute choice. Potkettleblack you were spot on regarding pulling temp. I just read your comment today so now have that knowledge going forward. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions, I really appreciate them all!

Comment

Job well done! Glad everything turned out well. I’ve been resting my meat longer lately, and have noticed a big difference in tenderness. Haven’t tried a hot’n’fast pork shoulder in several years - every other time it came out tough and the fat hadn’t rendered completely even taking it to 203°F internal. Perhaps a long hold would help...anything to shorten the cook!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
                    Hulagn1971 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Santamarina thank you! I was extremely nervous about the whole thing. I wrapped them after I got the bark I wanted and cooked them between 325-350 the whole time. I think it took about 6.5-7hrs total. I didn't put any juice or liquid in the foil either. I will definitely be cooking like this going forward.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here