Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak help please

I started getting serious about grilling about a year ago, so I'm still a nube.

I have 1-1/4" strip steaks. Am I better off doing a reverse sear, or are they too thin for that? Any ideas/input appreciated.

Thanks

That’s right on the fence.
    1” or thinner go hot and fast.
    1-1/2” or thicker reverse sear for sure.
    I think to be safe. Go reverse sear.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - what a coincidence - I once dated an airhead.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha. RonB

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny. I’m still full of hotair

No, you can reverse sear but maybe don't expect paper thin browning on the exterior and wall to wall (for example) pink. Reverse searing a thin steak is just cooking at low temp till you get close to the desired temp...the problem will be that when you searing a thin steak you will cook it a larger fraction of the way in...

now if you sous vide a thin steak it is the ultimate reverse sear... just sear it ripping hot and you will be fine.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed on that.
      I didn’t bring up the SV cause VicKO didn’t mention it.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn’t bring it up cuz I never mention it.

Do be careful from overcooking cuz it is "on the fence", start your sear at a lower temp & watch it (temp) closely.
    Last edited by FireMan; April 28, 2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Think you am an reverse sear, however, watch your temperatures closely. May want to pull them off when they are 115 -120 so that when you seat them you won’t way overshoot 135. Don’t forget to dry brine! Good luck!

Comment

You can definitely reverse sear, just be sure to keep your thermometer close by...the thinner the cut the easier it is to overshoot your temp!

Comment

Totally agree. Stay on top of it, your temp can climb quickly. But that is the case regardless of the thickness in my opinion. Good thermometer is the key to a good steak.

Comment

Agreed.
            start your sear at a lower internal temp with this thinner cut as the internal temp will rise rapidly as you sear. I did some Denver steaks that were a bit over 2 inches and slow cooked to 127 degrees before searing. At 1 1/4 inch you might want to sear around 115-120. I wouldn't sear more than 2 minutes per side, flipping every minute. Keep the instant thermometer handy.
            Don't sweat it too much. Keep notes and learn as you go.

Comment

Thank you everyone. Greatly appreciate the help!

Comment

Also a job for the Drip n Griddle pan.

cook it to 95° and kill it for a minute or two. Pull at 120° and rest it. You’ll be fine.

Comment

For thinner chops and steaks, you can get faster browning if you sprinkle the surfaces with a pinch of sugar. And I do mean a small pinch total sprinkled over both sides of each steak/chop. It's not enough to taste, just enough to accelerate the browning. That gets some nice browning action without overcooking the middle (as much).

Comment

• ssandy_561
                    ssandy_561 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m definitely doing this the next time I do pork chops. I’m always looking for a way to get a better sear on them.

I sou vide them to 130. then sear 1.5 min turn 90 degrees, wait 1 min, flip, check temp, Mine do not go over 140, turn 90 degrees after 1.5 min, should be done. My grill grates are anywhere between 650 and 700. Just came in 5th place out of 26 in a contest. First time entered, in SCA steak contest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here