Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prepping for the weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepping for the weekend

I hope that this is the right section to post about this. If not, mods please forgive me, and move wherever you see fit.

But, drove to Kroger last night and found pork shoulders, all around 8lb and $23. Walking around the store I decided against it. I have no idea why, but I did. This morning I felt ignorant for not buying such a good looking piece of meat and what would be a fun smoke.

So, before work I dropped my daughter off to preschool and headed to Kroger with a cooler and ice in the back. I was buying this 8lb of meat. I find one that was about 7 1/2lb, it looked great. Put it in a couple of bags and off to the checkout. I scanned the item........$12!!!! I got a $23 hunk of meat for $12.

So, tonight, when I get home from work I will open her up, trim some of the fat, add my kosher salt, and wrap it up, and into the fridge until Saturday morning.

I plan on following meatheads recipe. Wish me luck!

Best fo luck! We wanna see some pics!

Comment

You're geared up for a really fun cook, bbq_joe . Enjoy! Hope the weather is good too.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. And don’t worry Spinaker there will be many pics taken during this adventure.

Saturday morning i will wake up early and get the fire started, get the shoulder rubbed and tied and into the smoker.

Any suggestions on how many wood chunks to use during the smoke?

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I use 4-5 baseball sized chunks of fruitwood for a cook like that.

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          I think Meathead says somewhere to start with 8 oz. If you don't have a scale use four chunks of wood or so.

I would start with two, maybe three, chunks and then replenish as you see fit. If you're going to wrap at some point I would think you can get by with about 4-5 chunks. If you're not going to wrap you can use more, it's really up to you. Good luck on the cook. Cheers!

Comment

• bbq_joe
          bbq_joe commented
          Editing a comment
          No, no plan on wrapping. Just going to do a straight cook all the way through. This is a more expensive cut of meat then I have ever done before, so really hoping I don’t mess it up. I used two large chunks with my one slab of ribs, but wish I had used three.

The difficult thing with my kamado is the struggle to add wood. In order for me to add wood I have to 1.) remove the grates with the food 2) remove the deflector and then 3) get it all back together.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          bbq_joe check out the Ceramic Grill Store on line for their Woo which allows you to remove diffuser, grill and food in on piece.

• bbq_joe
          bbq_joe commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Pork Butt. Thank you for the info on the woo. I just placed my order for one

Good deal - bet you're glad you went back. Usually when I do something like that and go back, the sale is over or the item I wanted is gone. Enjoy the cook this weekend!

Comment

• bbq_joe
          bbq_joe commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers you better believe it! My only regret now is that I didn’t buy two! Hahaha

Congrats on a very good deal. Lookin' forward to the photos.

Comment

You're gonna love this cook. Don't take out of the fridge until you're ready to rub and then right into the smoker. 15 minutes from fridge to smoker tops. Make sure you preheat the smoker first too. Have fun!

Comment

I am glad you are happy wIth your purchase, it sounds like you got a real bargain for your area. I am guessing that it was boneless which runs about $1.49 a pound on sale here and bone in has been running $.88 a pound on sale. You are cooking my favorite cut of meat and the most forgiving piece of meat I know. I like to do them overnight on my BGE at 225 to an internal temp of 200. Enjoy.

Comment

• bbq_joe
              bbq_joe commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually it was bone in.

So last night I came home and trimmed nearly all the fat off, yes, I did leave some. Then, I added the kosher salt, I applied it liberally and then it was wrapped in seran wrap and put back in the fridge.
            Saturday morning my plan is to fire up the grill at 07:00, pull the pork from the fridge, give it a good rub down with Memphis dust, tie it all up to keep it from falling apart, and into the smoker.

Now, the only thing I want to ask, well, I’m sure there will be other questions (hahah), what about using the rib spritz that I made, would it be good for this as well?

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              You can sure use it. May help get a bit more smoke flavor. The trade offs are possibly softening your bark and prolonging your cook time some. Go with what you think will be best for you. I sometimes spritz and other times just cook. Mostly with Boston Butts I don’t wrap, however, if I’m in a time crunch I will wrap.
              Good luck. You got this.

• bbq_joe
              bbq_joe commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I did some searching and I see that some folks have done a shoulder smoking it at 225 and it took upwards of 12 hours. I pray that that’s not my situation tomorrow. I am getting up at 6 to put it on just to make sure that it will be done in time for dinner.

I don’t think I will use the spritz, although I’d like to. Maybe next time. Thanks Sweaty Paul.

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              You can always wrap after you get the bark and smoke you want. This will speed the cook. Also once it is wrapped you can bump the temps to get it cooked faster. Have fun.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here