Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many pork butts to feed 40 people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many pork butts to feed 40 people?

Making pulled pork for a church function this Sunday for more people than I have ever cooked for. I could really use some help in figuring out how many pork butts I need to smoke for sandwiches. There will be sides like slaw and potato salad and probably baked beans too. Also looking for a good baked bean recipe that I can use utilizing crock pots and something like Bush's baked beans. Thanks in advance!!!

The best rule of thumb is 1/2lb raw weight per person, if there will be other sides. Adjust this up or down depending on the crowd. i.e. all teenage football players, go 1lb, all little kids or elderly, go 1/4lb raw weight. For a mix, 1/2lb. For you, I'd suggest 20 lbs of butts, if there will be other sides. If you want lotsa leftovers, then obviously pad that meat amount. For beans, I am a fan of cheating and using the canned beans, but adding drips from the meat to them, maybe even some of the pulled pork (unless there'll be vegetarians), and smoking the dish of beans for ~ half hour.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, put the beans under the butts for that half hour...Yummmmm

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Putting beans under butts can be taken a number of different ways 🤪

4 @ 10lbs to be safe but 3 will likely do it.

Comment

• dahcopilot
      dahcopilot commented
      Editing a comment
      what he said. cooked 2 last week, had 10 eating, we ate "most" of 1, second went home with a guest

I had this same question a week ago. Check out LA Pork Butt ‘s reply in this thread. I downloaded the cookbook free as he suggested, the formula is on page 11.

Comment

I am with everyone else. You are very safe with four 8-10 pound butts.

Comment

I’ve cooked for a crowd that size many times. I usually do three butts, and find that two is really all that’s needed, especially when there are several sides in play. My experiences says one big butt per 20 people (which is about a half-lb raw per person).

...but I’ll still do three. I’d rather have a whole shoulder left over than run out of food. It’s not like leftovers go bad :-)

Comment

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          barelfly Last spring I did a cook for 85+ people and cooked two briskets and four pork shoulders. I never even pulled two of the shoulders and still had leftovers. So your plan for 2+2 is spot on.

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Santamarina how many pounds are each butt that you cook, about 10lbs each?

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          Hulagn1971 Bone-in pork shoulder, raw and untrimmed, 8-9lbs typically. Don’t often find them any bigger at my local market.

And one of those will feed 15-20 people if doing sammys and multiple sides are served. If another meat option is available it’s more like 20-25 people....unless there’s a lot of beer involved. Then it’s 10-15 people ;-)

I’d never cook just one for a crowd of 15, though. I’d rather have an entire shoulder left over than have one person skip seconds (or thirds)!

Concur with above. 4x10. More importantly, beans under butts. Delicious.

Comment

agreed.....1/2 raw will be plenty

Comment

Yep, 1/2 lb a person is about right. Some will eat more, some will eat less.

Comment

3 should be good. Four to be safe. Also the length of the function should be considered.

Comment

• Santamarina
                Santamarina commented
                Editing a comment
                Length of event is definitely a factor! A 2-hour party will use a lot less meat than a multi-hour event where people are more likely to go back for seconds...or thirds...or fourths!

!/2lb raw per is about right but also consider if it is buffet style self serve or you serving, portion control. Self serve buffet style I have noticed people will pile it up with out a bun so plan a little extra if not serving.

Comment

Don’t forget to use small tongs

Comment

Last weekend I did pulled pork for a large group for the first time. It was for 80 people. They were serving "pork sliders" on King's Hawaiian buns and lots of sides. I prepared 10 butts in the 8-9# range. I have lots of leftover pulled pork. I know, horror of horrors, right? So I think 4 good sized ones ought to do it just fine; or, 5 if you are nervous about running out and do not mind leftovers.

Comment

Im cooking for a family reunion in June and this is something that I’m trying to calculate for brisket.
                    I found this on a website called bbqrevolution. Seem to correspond to some of the comments.

For each item below – take the total starting weight (from the package) and multiply it by the percentage. This will give you a good estimate for what the trimmed, finished and cooked product weight will be: Brisket (Whole packer): 43% Brisket (Flat only): 52% Pork Butt: 50% Pork Loin: 65% Whole Roaster Chicken (4 – 7lbs): 34% Whole Turkey: 50% In addition to these, we often are asked to provide other meats that are less of a poundage calculation and more of a quantity. Though it varies by order – these are generally our rules: Pork or Beef Ribs: 2 people per rack if this is the only meat item, otherwise 3 people per rack Featherbones: 1 person per uncooked lb if this is the only meat item, otherwise 2 people per pound Chicken Pieces (any): 2.5 pieces per person if this is the only meat item, otherwise 1.5 per person Sausage: This is never our main meat item, but as an accessory we figure about 4 people per lb of uncooked sausage, sliced into bite sized chunks

He also say 1 pound of cooked meat feeds 2.6 people or about 1/3 pound per person.

Last edited by jecucolo; April 27, 2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks all! I'm doing 3 at about 10lbs each. I'll keep ya' posted!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	0427191943_HDR-01.jpeg
Views:	620
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	670942

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here