Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Healthy Recipe for Smoking Boneless Country Style Pork Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Healthy Recipe for Smoking Boneless Country Style Pork Ribs

Hello men, I hope you and your family enjoyed Easter together and ate some great food.

The wife and I are gonna cook some boneless pork shoulder country style ribs tomorrow to pack up in the freezer in bags and eat after our workouts together at the gym. I've always loved them and they are cheap to buy.

I really am looking hard for a good recipe that doesn't involve using 3 cups of ketchup or BBQ sauce. It's okay once in a while but I'll be 40 soon so I need a recipe that I can eat for the rest of my life that's not going to put me to sleep or pack on the pounds.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've seen some sugar free BBQ sauce at Walmart but I don't know if you can braise with it? Do you guys think I can just smoke it at 225 for six hours over hickory pellets and season it with some Big Bad Beef Rub and then just coat it with sugar free BBQ sauce when it's time to eat?

I'm thankful for any suggestions.

Thank you

Yeah, I let mine get to about 195 internal then coat with cold sauce and crank up the heat (leave the meat in the indirect zone) and get the temp back up.

Comment

Since you want to make pork shoulder "healthy" without the sauce, look into rubs only. Meathead's Memphis rub, Rendezvous-Style Memphis rub, Creole Seasoning Rub, Cajun Seasoning Rub, Hoisinful Asian Marinade, Chef Billy Parisi has a Smoked Country Style Ribs recipe that I'm going to try on my next CSR meal. Can treat then like ribs/butt and try vinegar/mustard sauces instead of the sugary sauces. Also, check out some of these sauces.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Hoisinful is basically sugar. OJ and Hoisin are both carby.

Next time you makes some, use the sugar free on one or two. That will tell you if it will work, and also if you like it. You could also do one or two with just MMD and one or two with MMD and a light coating of your favorite sauce. Personally, I switch between MMD only and MMD plus sauce depending on my mood.

Comment

Serve the ribs dry (rub only) and serve the sauce on the side so you can dip the meat into it as you like. IMO, nicely smoked meat with a good rub doesn't need to be slathered in a heavy coating of sauce to be edible.

You seem to be focusing on the sugar in the sauce as the main culprit for excess calories. Country style ribs can be fairly fatty, so eating less of the meat itself is going to be as or more important than whether the sauce is sugar free or not.

And the cut of meat is another thing to consider when controlling calories. Pork loin is just as cost effective with fewer calories from fat. At least here in Iowa, pork loin costs around the same per pound as country style ribs with less waste and less fat.

Comment

I applaud you on your consideration of healthy eating at your current age. I am working at loosing at least 60 more pounds and it is not as much fun as eating what I want. I am learning portion control and paying attention to calories. It is possible to eat things that taste great without eating things that taste great because they are loaded with sugar. KEEP UP THE EFFORT!!

Comment

I'm not a sugar eater myself, but the few things with sugar I do use are BBQ sauces, and only when I feel like having BBQ sauce on something. Used as a glaze I don't think you are really taking in that much sugar per serving to have a detrimental effect. Much like the salt or nitrite debate, if we look at it from an amount of sugar per serving ratio I think it's pretty negligible, unless it's really glopped on (yuck). If you're really worried about it try making your own and reduce the sugar or use a substitute like stevia. Making your own is fun and easy and allows you to control the ingredients.

There are also some great mustard/vinegar based sauces that have little or no sugar, but again you'd be better off making your own as just about anything commercial will be loaded with the sweet stuff.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; April 23, 2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

You might try to rub them like a Boston Butt. I mix equal parts of paprika, black Pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion and kosher salt. I would trim them fat along the outer edges before I cook them.

Comment

I would just go salt, pepper and maybe some granulated garlic. Keep the rub simple. Let the smoke and a the meat flavor come through. For me personally, I want that healthy pork fat and lovely smoke to shine, not some phosphate-laden injection or juiced-up sugar rub or sauce.

Let the simple things in life shine and you will feel better for it!

Comment

As John Wayne once said, "ya eat sugar like a kid, ya know what they do with kids don’t ya, tie him up". He was goin to whup him right there in the cattle drive. So, as the Duke recommends, ditch the cat soup & all the other goop. Mebbee a touch once in awhile is OK. There ya have it pardner. 🕶
                Last edited by FireMan; April 23, 2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Smoke em up with a rub. If you must sauce, I like an East Carolina style sauce with pork. It's shoulder, so you can take it to pull, or you can stop it at 185-190 for slicing.

Create your own amazing East Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce and mop with this simple to follow recipe. Tangy and spicy, Low Country vinegar sauce is great for finishing fatty pork and does double duty as a baste (or mop) for adding layers of flavor to the meat as it cooks. Because it is so thin, it penetrates deep.

I make it simpler, which is with vinegar and rub, and maybe some hot sauce. But as written, it's 2g carb to an unspecificed serving on the site. I reduce by using a sugar substitute in the rub. MMD + ACV + Tabasco or Cholula or Tapatio.

100% of the time, it works every time.

But the need for sauce is overrated.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The last sentence is enough for me.

• IowaGirl
                    IowaGirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well said about sauce being overrated.

Eastern Carolina vinegar sauce/mop. Aaron Franklin's basic sauce has 2 TBSP of sugar for recipe that makes 3 cups of sauce, I think.

I barely use any sauce, on anything.

Comment

Also....CARBS ARE NOT THE DEVIL!!!!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Uhm... whatever.

If eat less/do more was a functional weight control strategy, no one would be overweight. Hard to sustain a calorie deficit, and then impossible over the long haul with more movement, as energy deficit leads to shutdown.

The combination of macronutrients found in natural foods is generally either protein+fat (animal foods) or protein+carb (plants). Very few have large amounts of both (some nuts, legumes, certain fatty fruits).

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The research of Dr. Ben Bikman at BYU has demonstrated at insulin/glucagon balance is context specific. Fasting, carb avoidance produce more glucagon than insulin. Combine carbs with protein, insulin spike, minimal glucagon.

Implications for fat burning are too large to discuss in the context of this thread. But suffice to say, BBQ sauce on ribs is about the most obesogenic food you can eat.

• parkerj2
                      parkerj2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Potkettleblack I definitely was not trying to go down the argument route, but if you want that on a BBQ message board, be my guest.

Does a sugar-free sauce or glaze carmelize as well as one with sugar?

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, it will not.

CS ribs are a juicy cut to begin with, just rub and add a little vinegar based sauce for flavor.

Actually, I've eaten more CS ribs with sauerkraut than I ever ate with BBQ sauce. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and caraway; throw some kraut on them.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                      CaptainMike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mmmmm....kraaaauuuuutttt.....

• Bob's BBQ
                      Bob's BBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah - that's the way my dad made 'em. KRAUT!!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here