Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loin vs butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loin vs butt

I hope that everyone will pardon my complete ignorance and asking this question, but would I be able to use a pork loin in following this recipe, the same way with the temps, et cetera. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-pork-recipe

thanks everyone for all of your help,

I truly do appreciate it!

I don't believe so. Loin meat is lean, would dry out going low n slow. Loin is more a hot n fast meat IMO.

Comment

Loin will not pull. It's pork chops. Much better to just reverse sear to a finished temp of 135-140. Above 140, it gets tight, not loose, due to it being a non-working muscle in a pig, as opposed to the shoulder/butt.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4ABF3BD-E464-4C24-B821-A513B4968700.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	668616Click image for larger version

Name:	389E6A89-1E57-4449-9131-E7A2C03895F8.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	668617Click image for larger version

Name:	257D2E79-EF52-49AB-9940-A15C44E5EDDE.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	668615 Here is a good and easy loin cook.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Might be better at 140.

The loin doesn't have enough fat to cook that long. You can add some smoke, but you'll want to be careful not to dry it out. You do not want to over cook. Much better off cooking and presenting as roast pork

Comment

bbq_joe I will be more firm than HawkerXP in my answer, and give you a RESOUNDING NO. Pork loin is pretty much inedible cooked beyond 145F internal temperature. It is one of the leanest meats you will cook, and simply has no internal fat or connective tissue that renders, and is not something that can be properly cooked to pulling temperatures like a Boston butt (pork shoulder).

Pork shoulder (typically either a picnic or Boston butt cut) has a lot of connective tissue and internal fat throughout the meat. We cook pork shoulder to temperatures between 195F and 205F at low and slow temperatures in order to break down fat, collagen and connective tissue. This all results in the succulent pork that is fork tender and can be shredded (pulled). You are safe cooking a Boston butt to lower temperatures, and I've done it to 170F to 180F for meat that is intended for slicing - but the fat did not render, and the meat was not shreddable at all at those temperatures.

Under the old FDA guidelines, 20 years ago I would cook a pork loin on my offset until it was 160 to 165 internal temperature. It was extremely dried out and just not enjoyable. We would douse it in BBQ sauce and slice it very thin to make it edible. Under current FDA guidelines, and chef guidelines, that same pork loin is done at 145F, and I can tell you there is a world of difference. I would never try to cook a pork loin above 145F today.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
            I am use to cooking these in the crockpot and when I take it out I am always able to shred it into pulled pork for either pork quesadillas or just bbq pork. I was hoping I’d be able to do the same thing using the smoker. Looks like I’ll be picking up a Boston butt this week.

Comment

Yes, it's technically possible to cook pork loin to a shreddable consistency in the crock pot or in the smoker, and then moisten it with some sauce or gravy to make it edible. But cooking it to death is not a good method to get the most flavor, tenderness, and succulence out of this cut of meat. I'd do a butt low and slow to get a moist, tender meat to shred. I'd cook the loin to 135 F (140 tops) to get a succulent roast to slice.

Comment

bbq_joe even if cooking in the crockpot, a Boston butt will make much better pulled pork than a pork loin. You are cooking the pork loin about 60 to 70 degrees past its optimum doneness, and I imagine the only thing saving it is the fact it is braising in a bunch of liquid in the crock pot.

Comment

Gotcha!
                  I appreciate everyone’s help! A lot to learn here.

Comment

Wow, I too have learned something today. Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnston View Post
                      Wow, I too have learned something today. Thanks all!
                      We always love to hear that!

As my old man always says, "if you are not learning something new everyday, you are not trying hard enough."

Comment

• Willard
                        Willard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I just learned from this too. My own saying to myself is "If I don’t learn anything today then I’m dead." Morbid I know.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Three cheers for your daddy, Spinaker . That's a great motto to live by.

Kathryn

I take pork loins to 135°F in the smoker and let carryover cooking get it to 140° by the time I start slicing it.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Exactly. Or 130, then apply a sear and allow carryover to 140.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good plan, Potkettleblack . I like it.

Kathryn

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Depends on the goal. Straight roast to 135 and allow carryover will work better with something like MMD. My process would make a nice crust on something with a no sugar AP rub.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here