Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing and Easter Feast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing and Easter Feast...

Happy Easter, Passover, or Sunday to all:

I love to smoke. Not cigarettes, not 420, not even cigars. No, righteous meat is my vice. I get excited...giddy even when my wife gives the go ahead to me devoting a day to carefully making bbq. Which, to me, isn't often enough. She would eat steak or grilled chicken every night of the week, but she can only do Q about once every 6 weeks or major holiday!

But today's the DAY! She asked me a few weeks ago to bbq a butt for Easter. Not a huge crowd, just my step-son, his wife, my son, my wife and my mother in law. So just a small cook. 9lb butt and 8 (eight) bologna chubs. LOL...small cook remember!

Here's how this happened. A few weeks ago, a co-worker asked if for her birthday (yesterday) if she bought bologna, would I smoke it for her. I said of course. Then I thought, well, might as well smoke some for us, for Easter! Then I said, hey, we should do a Monday after Easter Potluck at work. So my math was, 2 for us, 2 for the co-worker, and 2 for the potluck. Wait, oh yeah, I was never good at math. So 2 bonus chubs! Probably will end up 4 for the potluck, because bbq bologna is a huge hit at the potlucks.

I'll get the bologna on later. I'll slather it in some sauce, then put some MMD on it. Then after a while of smoking, I am going to slice some of the chubs, slather/dust and throw on the hot grill to get a good crust.

As for the butt, I got it Friday and started dry brining. At some point back, I swiped the big plastic shaker that had some Montreal steak seasoning in. I took what was left and threw in my kosher salt shaker since it was empty. Instead of wasting that, I just tossed some kosher salt in and dry brined with the montreal steak. Lots of garlic. I made a fresh batch of MMD and liberally applied that this morning before tossing on the Kettle with the Slow N Sear.

I love the SNS. I LOVE the SNS. There is one thing it needs to improve. It needs to give me a 26" kettle and a 26" SNS so I can get more meat on at one time!!! I don't know how well a pellet grill or a PBC work, but I do know that I have made sharpie marks on my vents, and I set it and forget it. It's been running between 241 and 246 for the last hour. BBQ perfection is thy name!

My plan today is to take this to about 180 IT and then wrap. Take to 200-205 and throw in my cooler. And then about 5:30 pull and serve. I figure the butt will be off by 2-3 and that will give me 1.5-2.5 hours to ply the bologna trade. I think I'll have to use the hover grill to get 8 chubs in the kettle at once.

I will TRY to remember to get pics as this comes off the smoker. TRY. I usually start munching as I am pulling the pork and forget what a cellphone is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190419_151900.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	668063Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190419_152156.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	668064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190421_070532.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	668065Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190421_071157.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	668066Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190421_071436.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	668067

Looking good! A day to Q is a good day!

Comment

• droopie69
      droopie69 commented
      Editing a comment
      It certainly is!

Sounds like a great feast coming up. Enjoy!

Comment

It was delicious. The pulled pork was on point. The bologna was melt in your mouth. Everyone was stuffed like a tick when when done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190421_173423.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	668410Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190421_175646.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	668411Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190421_172051.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	668412

Comment

Man, I've gotta smoke some bologna. The breakfast sammiches would be awesome.

Comment

• droopie69
          droopie69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, nothing like fried egg and bologna Sammie's.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here