Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Timing

Hey Folks, I have done pulled pork before a few times, but never had to "have it done by a certain time". When should i put it on if i want to have it rested and ready to be pulled for 12 noons? Details on the meat and equipment below.

10lb Butt
    Pit Target Temp - 225-250
    Weber Kettle 26, using Slow n Sear XL
    Uninjected
    Dry Brined 24 hours before going on kettle
    Unsure if i should wrap or not, i want a nice bark, any suggestions appreciated

I like to cut my butts in half, more bark. Last big one was 9.5 lbs, 7.5 hours on kettle SnS at 250*, 1.5 hours in oven to probe tender. When I pull off grill I put in foil pan with a little liquid, wrap and in the oven. I hold in oven around 150*. I recently started dry brining for two days. Like it!
    Last edited by HawkerXP; April 15, 2019, 06:06 AM.

Comment

There are a lot of ways to get her done. Personally, I'd put it in the kettle around 10 PM - maybe even earlier. Then I'd check it around 6 AM. It it's past the stall, you should be OK. If it's not past the stall, then you can either raise the temp to 275* to 300* and/or wrap.Ideally you want at least a one hour cambro, but as long as possible. If you want to be super safe, start the cook around 8 PM, but you should check on it at around the eight hour mark.

Edit to add that Hawker's idea of cutting in half is great if you like lots of bark.

Comment

I’m getting too old for all night cooks. If it’s going to end up pulled pork just do it the day before. Pulled pork is easily resurrected by heating in the oven with your favorite sauce. But hey that’s me, I’d set aside 12 hours regardless.

Comment

I'm with Troutman, I've served leftover pulled pork the next day and I can't even tell the difference. I usually put it in the crock pot with apple juice and some more Memphis Dust. Hear it on low and stir it up every 30 minutes.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I have done for large parties before. Pull the pork the night before, right off the smoker, and refrigerate. Reheat in a warm oven or crockpot and serve from the crockpot.

my general plan is to budget and hour and 15 mins per lb (I dont wrap). To that I add another 4 hours for cushion and cambro time. some get done sooner - some take longer. If I see that my 4 hour cushion isn't enough - for whatever reason - I'll crank the heat to around 300 (after the stall is over) to make sure it gets done and to also ensure cambro time.

Comment

My last pulled pork at 10 lbs a week ago in my wsm took 8 hours. With average temp of 270. That being said, I left it unwrapped and it went fast. Now I just Cambro it after I left it on low in the oven when it hit 203. It was an overnight cook. To be safe I would allow 12 hours including Cambro time.
            Dont forget to add butter after the shred. A lot of people dont but in meatheads instructions he mentions it
            Last edited by Nuke em; April 16, 2019, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I routinely do 10 pound Boston butts on a BGE at 225 to an internal temp of 200.
              Here’s how I figure the time.
              1 hour to stabilize the egg at 225
              3 hours to 160
              6 hours to 180
              3 hours to 200
              2-4 hours in a faux cambro
              Wrapping cuts the cook time in half, so wrapping at 160 intil you reach 200 will take about 4 1/2 hours.

Comment

The trouble with the slow and sear as nice as it is it's not really an overnight device you will probably have to address the ash. I'm going to go with Troutman's suggestion or else you will need to wake up at a crazy time to get started at that temp.

Nowadays I do long cooks on a kamado so I dont have to re-fuel. I can then go hot and fast it low and slow and adjust my start time accordingly.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Attjack the snake method on my son’s 26” Weber will go 12 hours for an overnight cook.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I would go with the snake over SNS for overnight.

With the Fireboard to control temps and the SNS XL, if you can find Weber charcoal briquettes anywhere, I've had those go 12+ hours for overnight cooks in my 22" kettle. No more than 7-8 with KBB, and less with Royal Oak. Maybe Kingsford Pro will last longer if you cannot find the Weber charcoal.

I've been doing this lately on overnight cooks, usually intended for Sunday noon lunch.

1. Start the fire around 9pm, get the butt on at 9:30 or 10. Set the Party Q (Fireboard in your case) to 225 for the overnight part. The lower temp ensures you have enough fuel to get through the night while sleeping, and don't get done TOO early the next morning.

2. Wake up at 7AM, usually the meat will be around 180 or so by then. If needed, refuel. Adjust the pit temp up to 275F. The butt can handle it. This will push you through the rest of the cook faster.

3. By around 9AM, I can usually be at the target of 203.

4. Wrap the butt in foil, and hold in a 170F oven or in a faux camber, and pull right before noon.

I followed the above process 2 weekends ago, and the butt was held in the oven at 170F in foil from about 9AM to about 12:30PM, and I pulled it for serving at 1PM.

Comment

Crucial to remember, though - 203 is not an end-all-be-all for doneness. 203 can be overcooked for a lot of butts. Fat, connective tissue, possibly gristle within the meat - its best, in my opinion, to learn how to check for doneness by feel. Check that bone (if bone in), learn to feel by pulling a bit off.

I've cooked butts and briskets to 200-203 before, and they have been overcooked.

Comment

thanks guys for the feedback, i have gotten 12+ hours using my SNS-XL and Fireboard combo before the firebboard ran out of battery. I was using a mix of Frontier Lump and Royal Oak Briquettes i had leftover.

Comment

Maybe I'm a sissy, but I timidly tried wrapping a butt for the first time last year. I'm unashamedly a wrapper now.

So now, I get up, fire up the kettle with the SNS, throw the butt on. Usually in less than 4 hrs it's 170 it. I crank the heat from 225-245 up to 275ish. Once it hits 180-185, I wrap in foil. I back the temp back down, and take it to 200-205. I can tell by the temp probe when it hits the sweet spot. Then I pull it, wrap in a cheap harbor freight moving blanket, and stuff into a cooler. I've held in the cooler from 2am to 8:30 am before and the IT was still 170.

As was previously posted, pulled pork can be done the day before. You can put a little butter and/or sauce in with it and reheat it in the oven and it's 99% of the hot off the smoker finish.

Comment

Thanks Guys, the pulled pork was a success. This wasnt my 1st butt rodeo, just first on a kettle using the slow and sear. I usually use my UDS because that runs more than 24 hours without a refuel lol. But wanted to try something different. I appreciate all the feedback.

Comment

8 hours at 300
                          they will get done
                          lots of bark on the pork
                          Yes I wrap in red paper at the color I want
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                            Spinaker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Looooooaded!!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here