Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead’s Grilled Sweet and Sour Pork - My PBC Adaptation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead’s Grilled Sweet and Sour Pork - My PBC Adaptation

My wife loves pork tenderloin, so I wanted to give the big guy’s Grilled Sweet and Sour Pork recipe a try, and I wanted to do it on the PBC.

She made the DC Mumbo Sauce last night. He gives some leeway with the hot sauce, so she used 3/4 tsp of Cholula. And for the rice, she made her typical garlic rice we all love rather than following the recipe.

Re: the PBC and fuel, I knew this would be a short cook so I dumped what KBB I had left in a bag into the charcoal basket. That got it ~1.5 layers deep - good enough. I cracked open a new bag and pulled 40 briquettes out of it for the chimney. Otherwise, did my usual 15/10/10 lighting. I’m getting cocky with the PBC and it’s temps, so I didn’t bother with an ambient thermometer even tho I used less fuel, just used a Thermapen for the meat.

I had a pack of 2 pork tenderloins, together weighing in at 2.5lbs. I trimmed some fat and silver skin off, then hit them with EVOO and PBC All Purpose rub about 3 hours early:

Click image for larger version

Name:	74A36B38-C56E-45E0-BE0C-7669858F063F.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	664713

I deviated from the recipe and used the rub because I wanted to accentuate the grilled part of all this. I did a pork tenderloin on the PBC not long ago and it was delicious, but I had gone pretty light on the rub and wanted more. The last one took 40 min to hit 145F IT, with the end nearest the charcoal basket running ~15 degrees hotter. So my plan this time was to go 20 min, then remove the hooks and flip ends before rehanging, while also adding the skewers at that time. Skewers were also technically a deviation from the recipe, could’ve maybe used my half grate, but I went with 4 of the short skewers and grate-less.

The skewers, naked:

Name:	80AE0B20-C709-449C-AC40-0FA3F178D88B.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	664715

20 min into it, the tenderloins were flipped on end and skewers added. The lower end of the meat was around 124F while the hook end was at 112F, which is why I bothered flipping:

Name:	680D81E2-0743-4E94-86B1-527C5FEB348A.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	664712

Everything when it came off the PBC after 45 min. The pork was 147F IT in the middle:

Name:	937082F0-0FDD-42DA-8B85-0330DC9E0165.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	664714

Chow time:

Name:	DC152A5E-365F-47D5-9FC7-AF537097BD83.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	664711

Results: The dish was amazing, one of my favorite recipes from the free site. The pork was perfectly cooked (for us), the veggies and pineapple were grilled but still had some crunch, and that DC Mumbo sauce is AWESOME! I’d really like to do this again with chicken thighs. 👍🏻

Great looking plate and I'm not even hungry at the moment (a rarity)!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

That looks awesome. Thanks for the pictures and the steps you took to accomplish that. Something I could definitely try.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here