Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly 1st Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly 1st Attempt

I'm thinking about smoking a pork belly today which would be my first one. The plan would be to pick one up at Costco or the butcher, apply a sweet n spicy rub, smoke with apple wood at 225 for about 2 hrs then wrap in butcher paper until an internal temp of 200. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations or suggestions, what to look for in the cut, trimming, if my above steps should be adjusted etc..?

Any thought to doing pork belly burnt ends? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

Comment

Pork belly burnt ends. If you're getting a whole pork belly, do half as burnt ends. I'm not kidding. Not even partially.

Of all my cooking over all the years, pork belly burnt ends are hands' down the single BEST item I have EVER cooked.

Comment

I agree regarding the burnt ends. They are a treat!

Comment

MMMmmm burt ends look delicious. I think I'm going to wait and do this in a few weeks when I'm not on Keto so I can use brown sugar and other sweetness. Thanks everyone I think I'll just pull some leftover brisket from the freezer and sous vide for tonight's BBQ fix.

Comment

I am a huge PBBE fan. My approach:
            cut into 1" cubes...try to make them even. others suggest a bit larger but i like the surface area
            rub first with the meathead mustard based carolina sauce recipe then roll in memphis meat dust
            smoke at 225 on a mat at least 0.5" apart for several hours till really soft and internal is 155F +

remove, place in aluminum pan. add i stick butter, 1 cup brown sugar and generous amount of honey, stir to coat.
            keep cooking another couple hours at 225, stirring occasionally if you didn't cover with the sweet stuff. Sometimes I cover with foil, sometimes i dont.

eat a few

drain off excess sauce and grease, toss in your favorite KC style sauce, just to coat.

cook again until the sauce tacks up well. uncovered

eat some more before you serve because you might not get any.

similar but not identical to others recipes.

Comment

OK everyone thanks for all of the suggestions. I picked up a 5lbs pork belly at the butcher yesterday and they only had frozen. I just decided to go with burnt ends and put them in about 30 minutes ago around 215 degrees in the Primo. I used a half and half rub made with 1/2 Obie-Cue's Sweet N Heat and 1/2 Spiced Apple Rub from B's Rubs. Can't wait to see how these turn out.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, those are little chunks of heaven

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                They are pretty forgiving so don't worry too much about pit temp. I gave 1/2 a pork belly a spanking at 325f on Saturday along with burnt ends and turned out super juicy n tender.

• BRic
                BRic commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow ,them chunks look good !

Turned out great but I ate too many and didn't feel so well last night lol.... I put butter, brown sugar, honey, and a small bottle of Tiger sauce and then cooked with foil cover another 2 hrs as suggested. I next drained the juice and added a combo BBQ sauce and they went on another 30 mins. Turned out great and will most definitely make them again. -
              Attached Files

Comment

I've only made burnt ends once and they were so good I thought to myself maybe you should make this anymore.

Comment

Those look amazing! Nice job.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here