Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian bacon- check my math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian bacon- check my math

So I’ve got a 1lb 10 oz (730g) hunk of pork loin left over from the other night. Doc Blonders’ calculator says between 6.4 - 7.3 g of PP#1 to hit between 150-175 ppm of nitrite. I’m using 2 qts. Of water, do I just half all the other ingredients? Or should I go with salt, sugar, etc. proportunate to the weight of the meat?

You would scale the other ingredients. It's early, so hope I get this right: The recipe being for 3 lbs and your pork loin is just over 1/2 of that (1/2 of 3 lbs is 1 lb 8 oz - only 2 oz difference from yours), and you're using 1/2 the water of the recipe, so 1/2 the other ingredients would be close enough for me. Step 1 of the curing calculator talks about scaling.
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; April 12, 2019, 05:05 PM.

Comment

The salt, sugar, etc is proportionate to the amount of water used, not the amount of meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here