Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's #WholeHog Time! #WholeHogIsOntheRibList

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's #WholeHog Time! #WholeHogIsOntheRibList

We get asked a lot to participate in charity tasting events. They are fun and great brand builders. This one is called the Wild Beast Feast to support the Lake Charles Symphony.

What should we barbecue for this? Whole Hog, of course! In January, we went to the famous 17th Street Barbecue in Murphysboro, IL as a part of their Business of Barbecue school. I've been once before for the Barbecue MBA, and it was great. This year is the Whole Hog Extravaganza, and it was even better.

If you are considering getting into this business, or are in it already, I recommend you contact Amy Mills and go to their stuff.

Anyway, this prepared us well to do a Whole Hog for the beast feast!

My #1 Man, Sam, led the cook. 87 pound hog, smoked on our Myron Mixon 72xc. We had to fabricate a burn barrel to get coals to use for the heat. Using just logs would have made the hog very dark. That burn barrell was HOT!

Here's what the hog looked like about 10 hours in:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2089.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	661975

We transported it on the smoker grate, and slipped in one of our banners under the front. Then on came the garnish, all of which Sam led

The hog prep was cutting the backbone some, and salting the pig. We love us some dry brining, just like Meathead taught us.

We didn't prep much for the seasoning, and as the judges approached, we pulled some from the shoulder and belly, sprinkled on some rub and our sauce with vinegar mixed in, and handed it out

Name:	IMG_2136.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	661972

We should have practiced that more, lol. 3rd place!

Name:	IMG_2127.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	661969

Name:	IMG_2132.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	661971

Name:	IMG_2147.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	661973

You cut a hole on the side of the pig and reach in and pull. Fun!

Name:	IMG_2152.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	661976

Name:	IMG_2149.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	661974

The ribs were good!

Nice pig!

Name:	IMG_2104.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	661968

I'm thinking we'll do a Whole Hog night once a month. Plus parties. The hog was the talk of the room!

Attached Files

That is some tan on that hog. Saw a good looking gal at the beach once from a distance. When she got close, her skin looked like your hog. Never forgot that.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      They call them 50 yarders.

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that Steve B 😱

Awesome stuff Paul!

I went to 17th street a couple years back for my birthday. We went on a Sunday when they had a hole hog out and on display. I got to meet Mike and Amy. Mike brought me up and showed me the gif and let me carve on it etc... was awesome getting to meet and spend some time with them. Great folks! I would love to do the extravaganza some time and the other classes.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      that's so cool! They are cool and i've had a blast on both trips.

Wow. That looks amazing. Do you have any of those ribs left? 😃

Congratulations on the Place and a successful event.

Comment

Dang Paul you’re nailing it in LC brother!! We’re attending the Houston BBQ Show this weekend. Come join us if you get a chance !!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Dude, we will be there! PM me your number.

Nice, Paul. That looks great, and congrats on the finish. I have some cousins in Memphis that do a whole hog every once in awhile - that is some good eating.

And where can I get one of those hats? Give you a little free advertising.
      Last edited by klflowers; April 9, 2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, I'd love to buy a hat, as well, please!
        PaulstheRibList

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Hats are so fun! I'm just buying another, bigger batch. Richardson hats are great. Should have them and will set up a Merch store on our website.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. I'll keep checking in.

What an experience! Thanks!

Comment

I just knew I'd like this thread! Looks awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here