Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight pork butt on the WSM 22, no wrapping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight pork butt on the WSM 22, no wrapping.

Cooked this 7.5 pounder overnight for Sunday's dinner. Covered it in mustard then a 50/50 blend of Henrik pork rub and MMD. Used KBB for fuel and hickory and cherry for smoke. This was a 15 hour cook, no water in the pan, no spritzing and no wrap. IT hit 208 before wrapping for the cambro. Faux cambro for 3 hours and pulled it at a 175 IT. Served on brioche buns with Claussen pickle sandwich slices, slaw, macaroni salad, potato salad and green beans. Great family dinner with my stepdaughters and grandkids.

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbutt.jpg Views:	1 Size:	278.3 KB ID:	661656
    Click image for larger version  Name:	pulledpork.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.33 MB ID:	661657

Last edited by Hulagn1971; April 8, 2019, 08:16 AM.

Gotta love a nowrap cook.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't even use my PitmasterIQ IQ110. Really gotten the hang of my WSM regarding temp control without it. Never fluctuated more than 10 degrees between 225 and 235.

That butt looks fabulous. Real good bark, nice smoke ring, I bet that was good eating. And like Jerod Broussard says, nice with a 'simple' nowrap cook.

Comment

Yea I like rolling with no wrap, develops that deep bark. If you have the time then low and slow for 15 hours is great, but upping your heat into the 275* range will give you great results and cut out several hours from that cook time. Regardless, that's a good looking butt !!!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I usually do them around 275 but started it Saturday evening and wanted it to be ready to eat Sunday evening. Going lower meant more time in the cooker and honestly this was one of the juciest pork butts I've been able to produce. I think that may lend itself to the lower temperature in the cooker/slower cook. Thanks for the compliment!

Nice! I'm cooking one for Easter. Overnight on the RecTec at 225. Hope it comes out as nice as yours!

Comment

You done did it right! I love these long, no-wrap, cooks. Take your time, let it roll. That is the name of the game. (For me anyway)

Comment

This looks nice and barky and juicy. I gave up on no wrap butts because they seemed to always turn out too dry.

Comment

Great lookin' butt for sure.

Comment

Beautiful. That is why I love my wsm - once you get it dialed in, it will just roll on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here