Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking now! How much longer should I figure for pork ribs on a gasser when can't reach 225 indirect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking now! How much longer should I figure for pork ribs on a gasser when can't reach 225 indirect?

My 3 burner gasser is staying right around 200 degrees indirect with only 1 burner going. The 4 big slabs of SLC pork ribs take up both burners that are turned off. I can put them on temporarily to goose up the temp, but it eventually settles back around 200 to 205 with occasional forays up to 220, but not for very long. So how long should I go before becoming concerned? I was figuring around 5 or 6 hours normally if at 225. I have them on edge in a rib rack. Will going an extra hour probably take care of it or is 200 degrees too low of a temp?

***Ended up turning the other two burners on enough to get the temp to 225-235 then shut the extra 2 burners down, then repeat as needed. Little bit of a PITA, but certainly survivable! Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by SmokingSteve; April 7, 2019, 08:53 PM. Reason: Update: All's well that ends well.

Might be okay... you might give them some time over low direct, or shift to something like the one hour Rendezvous Ribs.

Comment

With my 4 burner I had, I needed to run the burners (from left to right) High (sometimes Med), Med, Low and put a piece of foil to help deflect the 3rd burner back to the left. Worked pretty good and just rotated evenly cut meat or left the thicker part on uneven cuts to the left. Hope that makes sense? You might be able to do the same thing with the foil on your 2nd burner.

Comment

If time is a factor pull them and put them in your kitchen oven or consider wrapping them.

Comment

I'll bet you could set up a heat delector so you could have one or both the other burners on too. Maybe put a sheet pan on the grates then a couple bricks and a second sheet pan.

I've never done much smoking on a gas grill. I should try it sometime.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s a process. Now having the Grilla, I don’t see the point anymore, but teaching my bro a bit.

Is there a way you could insulate your gasser (like a welding blanket wrapped over it)? Might help get temp up and steadier. Think you had a nice solution.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here