Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs Royale - Pork Ribs like Johnny Trigg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Velly intelesting! What weally caught my attention was the butter. I am finding more & more things go weally well wiff butter. Wonderful WIBS Henrik! This now is an way that I have to try. Gracias. 🕶

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, you’re gonna love it!

Henrik appreciate you sharing the love brother!

But I count 2 hrs open, 1 hr wrapped and then 30-40 min open to caramelize, for 4 hrs total. Am I missing something?

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik my spares seem to go a good 6.5 hours generally but yes, the wrapping makes a big difference, esp in the foil.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      If it takes 6.5 hours then I bet your ribs are meatier than mine. I wish I could find those here, most of our ribs are shiners.

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that. Upside is, you get to eat sooner 😆🍻

Found the recipie in this book Henrik
    Click image for larger version

Name:	15545284578177935867328669175423.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	660659Click image for larger version

Name:	15545286546104409052880276053993.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	660660

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool! Did I get close enough?

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Spot on i would say.. 👍 Henrik

• efranzen
      efranzen commented
      Editing a comment
      I have that same book and the recipe for his ribs seems to be missing the initial cook before wrapping. It describes setting up the fire and then goes straight to talking about foil.
      I think they pulled the same trick my Grandma does and leave out a key part, so no one can match theirs.

:-)

Great work. Also agree minus the sugar but, I like everything else about this recipe. Thank you for sharing. I am going to try this soon, but will probably use baby backs as that is my rib of choice. Great work!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'm sure baby back will be just as good. Butter + Tiger sauce is a winner.

Stop! your killing us!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what my arteries are telling me too, Lol!

I've done this a few times, minus the Tiger sauce. I have 6 racks on the Yoder peller pooper as I type. I am about 2½ hours in at the moment. I have to fun to a buddies house to help for a little bit with the whole hog we put on last night, but if I have time, I might try to wrap a couple/three racks up with some butter, BBQ sauce and brown sugar when I get back. I might be able to get 'em cookin' that way for an hour before I have to head to our pic-i-nic. I dunno, I've got so many things to do on so little sleep (and prolly a little hung over, lol), I'm not sure I can pull it off.

I wonder if I can find Tiger sauce at our WalMart... hmmm....

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha! Get the tiger sauce if you can, it’s an important part of the equation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	642DC61E-AC8C-4C59-86C1-00405DF6F754.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	660720 My son-in-law just told me some of the sausage they made was with Tiger Sauce and brown sugar. You can find it in here somewhere... Click image for larger version

Name:	6B4D4E44-B5E3-415A-BAA9-B7D82942AA9D.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	660721

Comment

Well, I finally got around to giving Hank's Rib Royale (a la Johnny Trigg) recipe a try.

I smoked 2 racks of loin back babybacks, 3+ lbs each, for a side-by-side comparison, one Last Meal Ribs (dry) style, and one Henrik/Trigg style. Both de-membraned and rubbed with Worcestershire Sauce binder and Killer Hogs rub about 5 hours before smoking. WSCGC in kamado mode.

Disclaimers:
      I don't like sauced ribs.
      I don't like super sweet profiles cooked onto meat. I like a sweet/spicy hit on the side, perhaps, with a sauce.
      Parkay scares me.
      I never wrapped a rib in my life.

Findings:
      I loved these ribs! Surprisingly tender and juicy. Yes, sweet, but not overly so. I used Blues Hog Smokey Mountain sauce. Sweet, sticky, a bit spicy, almost but not quite fall-off-the-bone. We thought the Killer Hogs Rub was not nearly as good as MMD, though, so I'll go back to MMD in the future.

I followed the recipe exactly with respect to ingredients and to time except for the end in which the loin back babyback ribs I used took much longer to cook. So instead of 30-40 min at the end, sitting in the aluminum wrap boat (brilliant idea, BTW, Henrik ), it took 2 hours 10 min for that rack to arrive at probe tenderness. The meat was at 164°when it came out of the wrap for brushing with sauce and decided to saunter its way through a stall. Increasing the WSCGC's temp wouldn't push it through the stall either. It did it's own sweet (pun intended) thing until it was good and ready. It was a rib rack with an attitude.

In comparison, both racks were good (perfectly cooked with pretty smoke rings) but good in different ways.

Thanks so much, Henrik, for nudging me out of my "ribs my way" comfort zone and into trying this method. It was fun. And I'll make it again. The family loved it.

Kathryn

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! If Kathryn is a convert, I may have to give this a try. I've been resisting it forever, since not wrapping ribs is kind of a badge of honor for me. Also, Barbara will not let me in the house with squeeze Parkay so I'll have to use softened/melted butter. (I'll also have to wait until my deck is finished, since my cookers are currently out of commission.)

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Melted butter beats parkay any day of the week. Fire up that grill!

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        Frank Zappa is the Mother of Inventions!

Listen, every time a great reciept with pictures is posted I have to give is a try. Thanks.

Comment

I love Johnny Trigg. He is the man........or the Godfather, however you wanna look at it.

Great write up Henrik! Not sure how I missed this one when it was first posted.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, he's da man! And if you have the time, do give this a try. I've done it many times by now, and it sure is a hit every time.

Thanks for the great writeup. The ribs look great. Some version of approach seems to be almost orthodox on the circuit. I guess I’m just not into the sweet, sticky ribs, but I know a lot of people are. I do love Tiger Sauce though.
        Last edited by Texas Larry; August 24, 2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

For anyone interested, I did a taste test as well including the Johnny Trigg ribs ala Henrik. My write-up is here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rib-taste-test

tl;dr version is the Trigg ribs probably won on taste and texture, but in my opinion they were missing the great smell of the unwrapped ribs.

Comment

Just read your post, PBCDad . Don't know how I missed it the first time around, so thanks for posting the link. Your cook is a very thoughtful comparison.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here