Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs Royale - Pork Ribs like Johnny Trigg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FishTalesNC
    replied
    I'm so glad you posted this! Recently I managed to stumbled upon a handful of "this is how I do my competition ribs" videos, and each one was similar in that they smoke first, wrap part way thru and include similar ingredients in the wrap, then firm up the bark at the end. When I watched a Malcomb Reed video with Heath Riles showing his competition process - I just had to see what it was about. I tried it out on a recent Saturday before we left for vacation on a single rack of baby backs and it was BY FAR the best rack of ribs I've ever made. They were so juicy and tender, still with a little tug but did come off the bone easier. The only things I think I'd change next time are around the sweetness profile... I'd add more rub after the wrap, and specifically the spicy rub (I used a 3 layer approach). I'd also target a sauce that was spicier rather than the typical KC style my daughter likes. I think those two things should help balance the flavors out again.

A couple of comments/questions... I really like the idea of slathering the foil with the ingredients and putting the rack meat side down on it, that is way easier than what I was doing. Also, I noticed in the 3-4 videos I watched they all used "fake butter" as well. Any idea why? I used real butter because it was what I had, but I'm wondering if I actually need to purchase some "I can't believe its not butter" or something. There must be something to it... just can't imagine what.

Anyway, thanks again for posting this, been thinking about my last cook and this helps!

Leave a comment:

• BRic
    replied
    Wow nice cook , ribs look awesome .. Thanks for sharing .

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Nice writeup, Henrik . Thanks. I've always been curious about the Trigg method as well. I've steered clear of it because I thought it would not have the bit of tug that many like when biting into ribs. I figure if it was "falling off the bone tender" you would have mentioned it.

And also, is the squeeze butter a real butter or is it a squeeze butter/margarine product?

I'm having my own personal rib-off in a couple of weeks and will be trying your modified Trigg method, along with Blasphemy ribs. I plan to pit the two against my gold standard PBC ribs.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Big Time
    replied
    That looks great! However, now I have an opportunity to ask a question that's been on my mind for the longest time. Now I've smoked only 5 racks of ribs in my "learning to smoke meat" process. I've prepped them the same way and cooked them the same way every time, only changing the brand of rub until I find one that I like. All my prep is removing the membrane, rub on mustard, coat with rub, cook 3-2-1, spritz every 30 minutes. They all tasted pretty good. Now whenever I look at recipes online, just about everyone is dumping sugar, honey, and bbq sauce with sugar on the ribs. I'm not one who wants by bbq to taste like a candy bar. Does the meat taste sugary with all that on there?

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    And thank _you_, Cap'n, this is a good place to hang out.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Ron, I had some leftover ribs today, still good!

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, my man!

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Thanks Hank, this is one of the reasons I love Amazing Ribs!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Ya got my mouth waterin' Henrik.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    YUM!!!!
    Beautiful ribs, great photos, an a really nice write up, Brother!

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    started a topic Ribs Royale - Pork Ribs like Johnny Trigg

Ribs Royale - Pork Ribs like Johnny Trigg

Hi folks, I’ve done a rib cook I’ve been wanting to try for a long time. And boy, did it taste good!

There’s a true legend in the bbq business: Johnny Trigg (and his Smokin’ Triggers team). I’ve watched him on TV, and I just think he’s a real cool guy. And he knows how to smoke ribs. So the mission was to try and smoke ribs like he does. I don’t know all the intricate details of how he cooks his, so this is a best guess from me, but I think I come pretty close. I like to think of it as a hommage.

This rib cook is similar to the so called 3-2-1 method.

Ingredients
    2-2.5 lbs pork ribs
    3/4 cups (2 dl) squeeze butter
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    1/3 cup (1 dl) tiger sauce
    1/3 cup (1 dl) barbecue sauce
    2-4 tbsp pork rub

Instructions
    Start by pulling off the membrane on the back of the ribs. Now apply an even layer of the rub on both sides of the ribs, and leave them to rest in the fridge for an hour, or overnight.

Phase I - smoke
    Run your grill/smoker at 225 deg F, or if you have a kamado, run it at 250-260 deg F. Add whatever wood chunks you like with your ribs. I went with oak. Let them smoke for roughly 2 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RibsRoyale-1.jpg
Views:	2120
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	660173

Phase II - flavorize
    Pull off two large sheets of aluminum foil. Place them on top of each other. They should be long enough to wrap the ribs. Now pour an even layer of half the squeeze butter. Spread it out so it covers a rectangular area the size of the ribs. Sprinkle half the sugar over the butter, and finally add half the tiger sauce. Place the ribs, meat side down, on the butter. Now repeat the same procedure on top of the ribs with the rest of the butter, sugar and tiger sauce. Wrap the foil tightly into a sealed package and place it back on the grill. Smoke it for another hour.

Name:	RibsRoyale-2.jpg
Views:	2286
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	660172

Name:	RibsRoyale-3.jpg
Views:	2025
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	660174

Phase III - caramelize
    Open up the foil package and fold it back by rolling it, forming a trough of sorts around the edges of the ribs. This is to avoid having the juices leak into the grill (or any other place also), and to help with cleaning the grill later. Now flip the ribs over so the meat side is up again. Brush an even layer of the barbecue sauce on the ribs and place back into the smoker/grill. Let them caramelize for 30-40 minutes. Check if they’re done with the bend test.

Below you can see the 'trough' I made by rolling back the foil and wadding it into 'walls' around the ribs.

Name:	RibsRoyale-4.jpg
Views:	1967
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	660175

What would I change for next time?
    Oh man, not a lot. These were so good!!! The one thing I would change is to perhaps hold back on the sugar just a little (completely depending on how sweet your bbq sauce is), but except for that: porkalicious!

Have a smokin' weekend y'all!

This is what I sunk my teeth into yesterday. Pure goodness.

Name:	RibsRoyale.jpg
Views:	1987
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	660176

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis