Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry ribs

Apologies if this has been covered. Looking for tips on cooking pork ribs without saucing. Increase the rub or leave it the same? Go with a more assertive rub? I’d assume that the cook times and temp would be the same.

thanks in advance

Just don't sauce. I usually serve sauce on the side because we enjoy our ribs with rub only. Experiment a little with 2 or 3 racks (or portions of racks) and see what you like.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      #3. Is this another one of these rigged polls? I’m smellin somethin here.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      It could be Jet fuel you're smelling if you're flying on United! FireMan

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm smellin' wibs. I'm all 4 dat!

Cook them as you do without the sauce. If you aren’t doing 3-2-1 ribs you might consider spritzing them every 30 minutes with Apple juice after cooking the a couple hours.

Comment

I'm with CaptainMike and MBMorgan Personally I never sauce ribs on the grill. Simplicity

However, you might look for a post by mgaretz
      on Blasphemy Ribs. He seems to have perfected a rib technique that appears to speed up the cook and provides mucho flexibility, even with a single rack.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Like yer use of Spanish lingo there.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I use mgaretz method with no sauce. I tried using more rub, but didn't care for the stronger flavor. I just use a light coat of rub and spritz with apple juice a couple of times in the last hour. We really like them done this way. Like so many other things you may have to try it a couple of times before you get the results you want.

What you’re asking for is essentially Memphis style dry ribs. They use cayennes, brown sugar and a variety of spices to achieve the flavor profiles you get out of wet saucing.

Tons of good recipes on line. Good luck !!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        So, a few questions for you, as I have been following your cooks a bit. I am running my first racks of Ribs tomorrow, and will just enjoy what I learn and what I get. But, I am also looking to avoid sauce, and honestly, sugar (T1D). is there a represented group that falls into that?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        If you use a hot pepper in your seasoning (like cayenne for instance) you want to balance that out with something sweet which is generally white or brown sugar. Sugar also gives you a better bark. When dry seasoning you want something to whet your taste buds and the play on hot/sweet helps do that. At least that's the way they do it in Memphis, I like a sauce glaze at the end myself.

Have to agree with all said here so far. I do dry as well and sauce on the side. If you don't use the 3-2-1 method (which is covered here on the site) spray them with apple juice every 30 minutes or so like LA Pork Butt recommends. Also, be careful with the 3-2-1. Sometimes they can turn intto very soft ribs. I've actually gone with 2-2-1 and had them come out great as well. If you decide you want to sauce you need to be careful and not leave them on too long. The rule of thumb is 20 minutes otherwise the sauce can burn. I typically don't wrap any more and just spray. Let us know what you decide on and how they turn out. Good luck.

Comment

No 3-2-1 here, they end up too soft. Generally I run about 5 hours total on a KBQ with no foil.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I do a 1 in a barrel.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Heck, you got it figured out. That will be one beer, please.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. For the BGE, same method, but 6 hours for spares.

When I do big batches of ribs, I'll often leave a rack or two without sauce for the people who prefer that. I adjust nothing and they're fine. It's really just a matter of finding the flavor profile you like. If I go with more sugar in the rub I'll usually finish them off with some extra heat at the end, like 275ºF-325ºF for like 15 - 30 minutes to crust things up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatplainsbrewer View Post
          Apologies if this has been covered. Looking for tips on cooking pork ribs without saucing. Increase the rub or leave it the same? Go with a more assertive rub? I’d assume that the cook times and temp would be the same.

thanks in advance
          Don't wrap. You'll get killer bark if you don't wrap. You won't get the mahogany color (my ribs are black when done), but I'll take killer black bark over mahogany color any day.

Comment

I'm in the dry sauce on the side camp as well

Comment

What kind of pork ribs? BB have a lot more moisture with all that loin meat. Also, are you dry brining at all?

Comment

I make baby backs, spare and STL ribs dry, really now only two different ways, and I've learned a couple tricks.

Trim, Rinse, Dry

Dry Brine - coarse kosher salt, 1 hour to overnight

First type - Southwest. Scrub both sides hard with halves of limes. I use an Ancho rub. Sides that are great with this are grilled Poblanos stuffed with rice and beans, or refried beans with chopped green onions, queso and warmed tortillas.

Second type - your own rub, such as cumin & brown sugar or American chili powder. Brush a light coat of yellow mustard on both sides, then apply rub. The mustard taste will not come thru, and the rub stays put. Sides that are good with this: everything I haven't listed in the first type.

Comment

MMD makes a fine dry rib and Last Meals, Skip sauce is my go to. I hit it with a brush of vinegar with MMD right off the grill, and that’s my favorite rib. No sauce required.

Comment

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is what I do, too. A quick spritz, a light coat of MMD, and just enough time back on the pit to let things melt together a bit.

Like this! Just some rub, heat and time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_184543.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	657968

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ahhh you're suppose to make paella in that pan, not cook ribs in it

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Didn't even cook the ribs in it - just used it to carry them in. ;-)

Great pan - really versatile and easy to clean.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here