Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butts

Let me start by acknowledging a well known AR fact - no pics, it didn't happen. But it did, and there are no pics. Cause this is a story about not being prepared (again). Picked up a couple of boneless butts at Costco last week, decided to do them on the 22" with sns with the elevated cooking grate, cause I have never used the elevated grate. So I brined one of the butts with salt and the other with some Hank's KC Royale.

Next morning, put some MMD on the salt brined butt, hogtied them with some twine, got everything set up, brought the weber up to 225, put the first butt on, then got the elevated grate. Well, what do you know, the grate didn't elevate quite enough! And the butts were too big to lay side by side. I was standing there looking at my wsm thinking man that would have been a lot easier, but noooooo. I had forsaken my first love for this newcomer - the sns with elevated grate. So I moved on anyway by just kind of squashing the butt down and putting the other on the elevated grate hussy.

While they were on the grate, I noted the difference in temps at the grates got up to 100 degrees. I thought it might be the probes (Maverick XR-50), but I swapped the probes and they still read the same. Doesn't that seem a little high?

After a few hours, they shrank a bit and I was able to get them side by side. The sns worked like a charm - I had to put coals in it a couple of times (KBB, I thought I had some Weber charcoal but I didn't), but it held between 220 and 270 pretty easily. I ran them naked through the stall and wrapped in foil at around 180 - I forget to pick up some butcher paper. The bark was excellent. Was about an 11 hour cook. When I pulled them one was at 204 and the other at 198. I thought they dried out a little, but the better half disagreed and said they were pretty good, so I am happy.

I couldn't really tell the difference between the butt with the MMD and the Hank's, but during the 11 hours several adult beverages were consumed. I held them in the oven (they came off the grill at around 1AM), and when I woke up, I forgot which was which.

So once again, proper preparation is the key. I am old enough to know that, but somehow I keep forgetting.

It happens to all of us at one time or another , we are all human .

Comment

Still ... it sounds like it might have been very good had it happened ... but those missing pics ......

Comment

Maybe it was a beer drinking dream. I forget stuff all the time. I usually screw up the most when I'm trying a new gadget/grill. Sounds like the grub was great anyway. No harm, no foul. No picks sets you up for plausible deniability, which can occasionally be a good thing.

Comment

Sounds like you did alright to me. Who could remember? 😀

Comment

As long as the food was good...

Comment

I think you must have dreamed this all up. I see no pictorial evidence of the process.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                No pics... I think I have one of the raw butts before I unwrapped them.

They say the mind is the first to .... something?

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                What? Mind?

Yeah sure! 🕶

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I know. Fevered imagination.

You got them to temp and your spouse liked them. That is a score in my book.

Comment

Haha, thanks for the laugh! Great to hear it all came out okay. Hey, if your better half is happy, you gotta call that a win.

Also, this.......LOL

"...during the 11 hours several adult beverages were consumed. I held them in the oven (they came off the grill at around 1AM), and when I woke up, I forgot which was which."

Comment

If the wife ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Comment

Happy wife = win! Although who knows without a pic! .

Sounds like a really fun cook though. Would have been fun to participate in that one!

Comment

Happens to me all the time..but somehow it turns out just fine.

Comment

They say if you wake up and remember, you obviously didn't drink enough.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here