Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrister DEW's Last Minute Ribs - Second Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrister DEW's Last Minute Ribs - Second Attempt

So, I'm giving LMR's with SLC's another shot. This time I used Memphis Dust instead of my own signature rub. I think a main difference is MD is sweeter than mine. I'll see if there's a noticeable difference. Also, I am using a different one of my original sauces. This one doesn't have rum or molasses in it. It uses corn syrup and has more cider vinegar. I didn't have any dijon mustard in the house so I used plain yellow mustard (French's) in the sauce. I also added some Tennessee whiskey but I think it was wasted/lost in the other flavors. I also added onion powder by mistake - oh well.

The ribs were salted yesterday afternoon and then oiled and rubbed well about 2:00a.m. Right before I put them on, I dusted lightly with more MD and a little sprinkle of salt on top - Huskee style.

I'm cooking with hickory, but intend to use less than in the past. Cooking temps will hopefully be between 220ºF and 250ºF

Here are the ribs right before going in the smoker:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150223_152122.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	65467

Wow, you click on the picture and I think that is what it would like through a hotel room peep hole.

Dats gonna be some goooooood stuff!!!

Comment

I seem to have caught the "small pic" bug going around this sight, Jerod Broussard

Comment

I always click on the top right picture icon. Course I mostly do pics on the laptop. Smartphone can be tricky.

Comment

I'm on the laptop. I click on the Attachment icon on the top right (the picture icon is on the top left). I have not had a problem with pic size until the upgrade.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            What size pic do you choose? When I opened it in Microsoft Paint is was SMALL still.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Large

DEW, try going with "Full size" - that is what I have been doing and it seems to work.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, but that doesn't work either. It doesn't matter which size I click on. I earlier posted 4 photos in the What are you cooking - UPDATED thread. Each one got progressively smaller, even though I clicked on Large for all.

That will be a delicious bite.

Comment

At the risk of it being teeny tiny, here is a pic of the ribs after 4 1/2 hours. IT at several places showed 177ºF on the ThermoWand. The bend test was close but not quite there. Right after this pic I flipped them over and sauced the bone side. In 30 mins I will sauce the top side. Another 30 after that and they should be perfect.

Name:	20150223_195139.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	65585
            Last edited by Dewesq55; February 23, 2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Don't worry, it happens to a lot of guys.

I like to sprinkle a touch of salt on top like you said when using a no-salt rub. I think the rub on the bark itself benefits from just a wee bit of it.

Comment

OK, so these were OMG amazing! The best ribs I ever made, hands down. They were juicy and moist and tender and came clean off the bone with some tooth tug (I like a bit of firmness to a rib).

Name:	20150223_211037.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	65611

Comment

Nice! Isn't it awesome when you get those 'best I ever made' cooks? Sharing it with family is great, but when you can share it here too it's just icing on the cake. Nicely done!

Comment

Thanks Huskee. Since this site quit letting me upload photos in the middle of that last post, I have added them to the Evernote Cooking Journal which you can see here

Comment

• Dr ROK
                      Dr ROK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What is Barrister Dew's grilling sauce?

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just another BBQ sauce recipe of mine.

Wow, congrats, Dew! Sounds like you've got a winner with a technique and flavor profile to guarantee success.

I like your Evernote Cooking Journal. It looks like a handy way to keep the details of a cook all in one place.

I write mine up in Word and print/file them but of course they're always available on my computer. I wonder if using Evernote would be easier. I guess I'll have to investigate that one of these days!

Kathryn
                    Last edited by fzxdoc; February 24, 2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                      Dr ROK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One of the advantages of Evernote is you can access it anywhere you have internet access and you can access it on any device that uses the internet. If I'm visiting somewhere and they want me to cook, all my recipes are as close as my cell phone. I love Evernote and use it for everything from saving owner manual pdfs to saving cooking journals and recipes.

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree with this. I now keep all of my recipes on Evernote. When I am cooking from a particular recipe, I add a shortcut to it to my home screen.

• OGMrWhite
                      OGMrWhite commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love Evernote! I'm not the best at getting around to making cook logs, but I'm trying to beat myself into shape and do it.

But I do use Evernote a ton for work, and to clip recipes I find online to save and use at a later day.

Fantastic cook, Dew! Can you share (again) your Evernote link? I'd love to see the chronology of this cook. Thanks!

Comment

Huskee did you ever check out my Evernote Cooking Journal to see the pix of the finished ribs?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here