Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I think that about covers it. 203 conventional is suffient to render the collagen as completely as you want to. Via Sous Vide, you cook lower to retain more moisture, and as a result you go longer to break down the collagen.

You couldn’t hold a brisket at 150 for 30 hours by conventional means (steaming, smoking) and not dry it way out or maintain food safety. Sous Vide, being sealed, achieves both.

• Troutman
    replied
    Best way to explain the difference is to understand that food is cooked by two different variables, temperature and time. The goal when cooking pastrami is that the cut we generally equate with it is brisket (although navel and other cuts are used) which needs to have it's collagen and connective tissue rendered and broken down to tenderize the meat. That is accomplished in the conventional sense by slowly smoking the meat over say 10-12 hours and bringing it to probe tender at about 203* plus or minus.

Sous vide does essentially the same thing only it does it at a lower temperature over a much longer period of time. Both ways accomplish the same thing, it's the difference between time and temperature as the variables involved.

I'm sure Potkettleblack can weigh in with a little more depth of discussion but that's essentially the reason.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Not sure about the difference, somebody will be along soon with an answer, but I SV'd a commercial corned beef the other day. SV at 150 for 30 hours, chilled, weber with sns at 225 for about an hour and a half until 140. Used Clint Cantwell's SVQ recipe from the free side. Came out really really good.

Leave a comment:

• RibCall
    started a topic Sous vide Pastrami

Sous vide Pastrami

Confused when comparing the sous vide pastrami recipe to the Katz’s Pastrami recipe. Katz’s smokes to 150’ then steams to 203’ -or- smokes to 203’.
    Sous vide cooks to just 150’ then quick chill before smoking to 125’ to serve. Am I missing something? Why is the sous vide fully cooked at 150’ and it takes 203’ to fully cook Katz’s?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here