Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Style Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country Style Ribs

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC77F884-A757-4763-9783-D40B472BB53A.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	651314 I have little experience with these so I was wondering what your favorite ways of cooking these are...

Name:	0C209A9F-F573-4DF6-8BA1-B81E3526DB43.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	651313

Off subject but regardless of what order I try to insert pictures and text it ends up different than my intentions.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      On the iPhone do what MBMorgan said. Once you have all the photos uploaded before inserting tap on the post your writing. the blue flashing bar will appear. tap the screen again where you want the pics to be, making sure the blue bar follows, than click on the insert icon. I had trouble with this for awhile as well.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B - Thanks for posting about using the iPhone. I had intended to do it but got busy (again!) outside with digging out from the last of the deep snow from last week's blizzard.

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B MBMorgan Thanks. I thought there must be a way because I’m certain many people posting are using their phones and things are well organized. I appreciate your help.

I really like this method from BBQ Pit Boys.

Comment

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmm! That does look good. Darn if I don’t have to pick up some beer. Ahh shucks 😎

Generally country style ribs are cut off the butt, but that looks like they just sliced a loin and made chops.

I would bread them with a panko crust, fry them in lard to set the crust and finish on a rack in an oven.

Actually that works for almost anything.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmmmm.......laaaaaarrrrd.....

In my experience, there are two general types of country ribs -- those cut from the loin and those cut from the shoulder (butt).

It looks like you might have country ribs from the loin area. These will have little or no marbling and can get pretty dry if you overcook them. I treat them pretty much like regular loin chops -- dry brine, season with a rub, and cook them on moderate indirect heat until just done -- pretty much what your label is telling you.

The shoulder cut country ribs are more fatty. I'll dry brine, add a rub, and cook low and slow until tender, more like I'd cook a shoulder roast.

There are some country ribs that are a blend of both muscle groups -- if i can, I try to avoid those. One or the other, but not both. If your cook method is suited for the loin, the shoulder meat is not tender enough. If you cook for the shoulder, the loin is dry. Can't win.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      IowaGirl is correct, those are loin cut, do not overcook them. Treat them like you would a pork chop or loin roast, take it up to no more than 140-145* IT or they will turn to saw dust.

That definitely looks like a sliced loin roast. I’d cook them to 145 IT.

Comment

Yeah, they’re loin. I haven’t even read what the packaging says for cooking because I only trust the folks here. I have no lard but I’ll look for it. I don’t think it’s common at our store but I may be wrong.

Comment

Dry brine and rub the night before with your regular pork rub. Then day of, hit with rub again (I use mustard as binder on the first batch of rub. Smoke over hickory at 225° for about 2 hours, the transfer to a disposible pan with sliced sweet onions in the bottom and 1/2 a cup of apple cider vinegar. Top with more onions, and cover with foil. Back in the smoker for another 3-4 hours until tender. Remove the ribs and onions, wrap and hold as you would ribs. Pour the juices in a saucepan and reduce until it coats the back of a spoon. Add reduced sauce to a blender and add onions and pulse until you like the flavor and consistency (add onions a little at a time and taste). Serve over rice with the sauce poured over top.

Comment

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          This sounds wonderful. I don’t have time for your method this time but next time for sure. This is why I come here for advice. I know I’ll get something amazing!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a really good way to do it Tweeter. I've done that with apple juice/apple cider vinegar combo. You can also get some collared greens and cook along side the braise. Believe it or not even kale works good as well, and I'm not a fan of kale.

Name:	63A5E560-4B8A-4868-9834-A5C12CE5697C.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	651955 This is what I ended up with. Thanks jerrybell for the link. I based it on that but tweaked it some. Thanks to everyone I’ll do another post on SUWYC.

Comment

I like to cube these up and make them into burnt ends. I like to let them braise a little longer since they don't have nearly as much fat as a brizzy point or pork belly.

Comment

This is probably blasphemy here, but I like to boil them and then simmer them in sauerkraut.

Comment

Where I changed it up a bit from the BBQ Pit Boys I used ingredients I had. Instead of brown sugar, mustard and ketchup I used up what I had which was a red and a yellow bbq sauce from 4 Rivers. I used Guinness Extra Stout for the beer, 6 oz not 12. I wanted the other 6 oz in my stout glass 😎. For the hot sauce I used my +1 sauce I made and posted about in the thread Hot sauces 13 + 1 or something like that. Anyway, it was hot. I was caught off guard with the IT getting way too hot, supposedly, reaching 180 by the time I checked them. I say supposedly because they turned out very good. A tad dry maybe but good and tender. Next time I’ll try one of the other methods you all have posted. Thanks for all the input!

Comment

I am going to go old school here. I take the ones cut from the shoulder and put them in an oven cooking bag with a splash of white wine, a small bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Vidalia Onion sauce, and 1/4 cup of Hatch red chili powder. Cook for 1 hour at 350. Set your grill of choice to sear. Pull from the oven, cut the bag open and sear the meat on the grill. Real, real moist and tasty.

Comment

• Willard
                  Willard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds delicious. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here