Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A tribute cook: T-bone steak, BBQ Fatty, Bacon and Jalapeno poppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tribute cook: T-bone steak, BBQ Fatty, Bacon and Jalapeno poppers

Every now and then life gives you a hard turn. Two weeks ago our dog (in my profile picture) passed away. Her name was Elsa, a bullmastiff that was a few weeks shy of turning 3 years old. All of a sudden she became sick, and a visit to the vet showed she had a very aggressive cancer in the liver, so we had to put her down the same day. I loved that dog so much, and our home sure feels empty now.

I figured the best thing I could to honor her memory is to stack up on meat (she never was big on veggies…), and get some good ’q on. So, in one session I figured I should cook bacon (pork belly) glazed with maple syrup, bacon wrapped deer fatty, jalapeno poppers and one big mother of a T-bone steak. With a bit of planning it should be a smooth ride.

Dry aged, 2.2 lbs, top quality T-bone:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	00_tbonesteak.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	64851

A good 2 inches thick, it doesn't get any better:

Name:	00_tbonesteak_measured.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	64850

PREP TIME
    Bacon: I trimmed the skin off, and dry brined it the night before. In the morning I applied my standard pork rub. That's it.
    Fatty: I mixed 2 lbs of minced deer meat with 0.5 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp red chili flakes. Wrapped it in bacon streaks. Simple.
    Poppers: Gutted them, filled with a good strong matured cheese, and wrapped each in bacon streaks. A no brainer.
    T-bone: dry brined the night before, and that’s it. If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

I used a bit of alder wood for smoke.

Prepping the fatty:

Name:	04_deer_fatty_with_cheese.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	64855

Rolling up the fatty, just add baconâ„¢:

Name:	03_deer_fatty_rolled_up.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	64854

Bacon and fatty on the grill:

Name:	05_bacon_and_fatty.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	64852

Bacon being glazed for the first time:

Name:	06_bacon_and_fatty_glazed.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	64853

COOK LOG
    2:00 pm: I started the fire in my BGE. Added some alder wood for a bit of smoke.

2:30 pm: It was up and running, dialed in at 230° F. I put the bacon and fatty on first. I figured the bacon would require most time, so when the fatty was done I would swap it out for the T-bone.
    3:30 pm: First layer of dark maple syrup on the slab of bacon. The fatty now at 134° F, ready within 20 minutes or so I think.
    4:00 pm: The fatty was done, internal temp was 150° F, so I removed it, and wrapped it in aluminum foil and a towel. Instead I put the T-bone and poppers on, and moved the thermometer probe to the slab of bacon.
    4:30 pm: second maple syrup glaze applied.
    5:00 pm: The T-bone was done (internal temp 122 ° F / 50° C), ready for a good reverse sear, which the BBQ Dragon helped me with. A great tool. I brought it up to an internal temp of 140° F / 60° C. Applied third glaze on the bacon.
    5:30 pm: the bacon was done, wrapped it in aluminum foil and a towel, and let it rest.

The fatty is done, time to wrap it:

Name:	08_deer_fatty_rest.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	64856

T-bone just hit the grate together with some of the poppers:

Name:	09_tbone_on_grate.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	64861

Here's the T-bone after searing it:

Name:	10_tbone_seared.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	64857

And a mandatory cut-through of a truly superb steak:

Name:	13_tbone_cut.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	64860

Here's the fatty, ready to serve. Note the little smoke ring:

Name:	11_deer_fatty_with_bacon.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	64859

And finally the bacon, triple-glazed with maple syrup, just beautiful:

Name:	12_bacon_done.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	64858

6:30 pm: time to eat. The T-bone was out of this world. I ate it as it was, no sides, no nothing. Most likely my best steak ever. The fatty turned out great also, the chili flakes added just the right sting. The bacon was super moist, very gentle flavor that was very enjoyable.

Thank you all friendly, helpful and generous people of this forum for all your inspiration and camaraderie.

I think Elsa is smiling down on you

Comment

Henrik,

My deepest sympathy for the loss of your dear friend. What a beautiful way to honor her. My peace and light be with you.

Comment

Henrik , Great write up.

I am sorry to hear about about your pup. Those decisions are never easy. It sounds and looks like you guys enjoyed what little time you had together. I'm sure she would have loved that T-Bone. As Jon said, what a fitting tribute to a great friend.

Take care.

-John

Comment

Great job on the cook. I hope it helped. So sorry you lost your pal.....tough days, esp when so young!

Comment

Henrik, Elsa would be proud of you, because if she had been able to cook, she probably would have served you the same meal, just to make you happy. I'm so sorry you lost her, especially at such a young age.

Kathryn

Comment

Henrik, I'm sorry to see this about losing Elsa and especially at that young age...

Outstanding job on the cook, I'm sure Elsa is pleased with the tribute...

Comment

Thanks guys, very kind.

Comment

Nice cook Henrik! Elsa would be all over all of that I'm sure.

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you, Pit Boss.

Condolences Henrik, for the loss of a dear friend! As usual, it looked like a great cook.

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks!

So sorry to hear that Henrik. I haven't had to put a dog to sleep yet, but my buddy ran away (or got stolen? I still don't know whatever happened) about 5 yrs ago now. Things just weren't the same. I remember going out to go to work and not hearing him whine/barking at me like huskies do. I still wanted to go out and feed him every evening. It was a sad time. Taking his kennel apart about killed me.

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now I know where you get Huskee from.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DWCowles, yepper. I expound on that a little over at the recent "What's in a screen name" thread started by Jon I think.

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, Huskee. I have come the conclusion that I am very much a dog person (Elsa was our first), so we will most likely get a new dog come autumn.

Great to see the @mentions feature is alive by the way!

Sorry I haven't been to that thread

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss, Henrik. Barbara and I were just talking about how devastating it will be when Sadie finally leaves us.

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, Dewesq55.

I'm also sorry for your loss Henrik. I couldn't imagine having to put my Jack Russel down.

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks DWCowles. Glad to hear there are so many dog owners in this forum. They sure bring a lot of joy to your life, and they're great cooking partners also.

Henrik... I feel your pain! Losing your dog buddy is not much different than losing one of your children. I had a 12 year old Golden Retriever that was rarely out of my vision for his entire 12 years. He had never been sick except for an occasional ear infection. Then one morning... He just didn't wake up. I still think of his companionship, the closeness we felt for each other. I like my human friends but... Me and my dog? That's a special bond. Again... I feel your pain.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here